Too Many People? Too Big People?

We had a small party last night.

Mostly men.... We bought the UFC fight.

Most of the men were pretty big. One was 6'9".

Sidney got very upset. He barked at them, growled, and finally started nipping at people when they got up to get foodie a drink in the kitchen.

We finally had to crate him worried he would bite one of our guests.

Not sure what happened? We've had a few other parties since we've had them and he was ok. I almost wonder if the men freaked him out.... Especially their size. My husband and I are pretty small people. I'm 5'1 and my husband is 5'5". He's always barked at the door when men come in.

Not sure what we should do if anything.

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Funny thing is, no one raised their voice, or were making any sudden moves. Everyone was pretty chilled out and were mellow.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

The thought is that it's more the timbre of men's voices - heavier, lower - versus women's voices - lighter and higher - that causes concern. I would crate him or xpen him away from guests in the future. This might work itself out as he settles in more, might not. If they're amenable, have your guests pass out treats when they come in, and throughout the party. You want him to associate groups of people (men and/or women) with good things.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He's always barked at the door when men come in.

This tells me that he's always been insecure, and perhaps a little afraid, of men. And suddenly his home is filled with strangers who are scary to him. I'd agree with the previous recommendations to crate him away from the activity if you have similar parties in the future. Also work on socializing him to strangers using treats and positive reinforcement, but it may be more effective to start slow and only work on this with just one or two visitors and smaller groups in the beginning.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

When we are out on a walk, etc, he is extremely social... walks right up to people (men and women) to say hello.

I am almost wondering if he's gotten territorial now in the house?

Regardless, we will be careful if and when others come over. I think it was a little too much for him with all the men around.

I agree with the others: too many deep-voiced large men in the house that he found scary. It's a different thing to have them in the house than meet them out on a walk - and that goes for other scary things, too, by the way. Renie would never go upstairs at home, and yet trotted up and down steps outside as if she hardly noticed them. I didn't mind that and never tried to change her because we didn't really want the dogs upstairs anyway.

It's not necessarily territorial, is what I mean. Just a defensive reaction to a lot of scary people. I personally have never owned a dog who actually enjoyed a party in our house. They tolerate/d them, and just rested quietly on their beds in another room, but the stress signals were there.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

@ silverfish and others...

I hear what you are saying. I can completely see that.

Our last dog absolutely loved parties. She was a social butterfly.

Obviously these 2 are totally different dogs with different needs. We may have to keep our parties to a minimum and keep them to small guest lists.

Thx for the feedback gang.

Maybe over time with some smaller parties at first would help him acclimate and realize things are going to be ok? Have the guests hand out treats perhaps when they arrive or when they get up, might help him associate them with good things if he is not too anxious to accept a treat. I know Rudy is so food-motivated that all else fades in his mind when he's presented a treat so it really helps when trying to get him to calm down in a nervous situation. I also agree that being outside on neutral ground is easier for a dog than closed up inside the house. For example I don't mind walking by people outside but would not want people standing around in my bedroom when I was trying to get some rest, it would be very intrusive. It's probably more something along those lines than being territorial.