Vaginal Discharge And Infection

Pudge, my 12 y. o. mutt, has had some recurring infections over the past 4 months. The first 2 times it was on her belly near her vagina. The skin was red, slightly bump, she kept wanting to lick it. She didn't mess her vaginal area. Vet did a swab and found lots of bacteria. Each time she was put on a course of Clamavox and I used Pharmaseb skin wipes (from the vet). By the end of each round she had cleared up.

Now she has a snot-like discharge from her vagina. When she isn't trying to lick it she's leaving gobs of it wherever she's resting. I just noticed it today and will be calling in for an appointment in the morning. She is otherwise her normal, semi-active self, given her age.

A big concern is that she is in end stage renal failure. We don't want an infection to retrograde into her kidneys. Her labwork hasn't been great over the past year but at least it's stable. She's on Atenolol and Royal Canin's kidney kibble.

Regarding this awful discharge, what other meds can I ask the vet about? Will a culture or other testing necessary? Is Clamavox the strongest stuff out there?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

FWIW:

I've had four kidney dogs in the last couple of years. Three of the four had the discharge, at least part of the time. The worst was Jessie. We could sometimes clear it up with antibiotics, but it would recur. The vet tried flushing her out, and that made it much worse. We stopped treating her. I wiped her with a baby wipe after she urinated (or when we got home for a walk), and otherwise just cleaned up after her.

I'm hoping someone else has found a better solution both for you, and for my remaining kidney girls.

ETA: I've also found that my kidney dogs have had very leaky eyes. I mentioned both the discharge and the eye leaks to my vet, and she thought it was more related to the immune system than the kidneys per se. Again, it would be interesting to know if someone else has a better answer.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

There isn't really such a thing as "strong vs weak" antibiotics. There's really just different antibiotics that work against different bacteria. So a particular antibiotic might be very strong against bacteria A, intermediate against B, and C is totally resistant. If you have bacteria C you won't see the results you want, but not because the antibiotic is "weak" but because it doesn't have good activity against that particular bacteria. That's why cultures can be important depending on the results we want/need and the importance of avoiding resistance and treatment failure.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

A swab showing an overabundance of bacteria. Pudge will now be on Baytril for 10 days. I'm to call with an update after 5 days.

She also had her anal glands expressed. She has the firmest poop of all my dogs but still needs expressing every few months.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png