Covering Up Another Dogs Urine

Guest bdeeds86

Guest bdeeds86

My brood mama, Goldie, does a funny thing that I've never seen before...

My cousin and his girlfriend brought their younger male greyhound over for a playdate. It went very well. Goldie and their grey got along fabulously. When we took them out to go potty, he peed first (in the snow) and Goldie went over to his pee and used her nose to cover up his pee with surrounding snow.

Is this a common greyhound behavior? Is it because she's a broodie and she's trying to clean up after him? I've never seen anything like it. I know cats do this with their paws.

It was really cute to witness, but it just made me wonder what it was all about. She's never done this with her own urine.

Any insight?

We have three grey girls and a galgo girl. Our galgo was a broodie. They love, Love, LOVE to pee on top of each others pee. I've never seen any of them - including our broodie - try to cover up another dogs pee.

One of our grey girls, Celeste, loves to kick and cover up her pee/poop after going. I think its just to prevent the other dogs from marking over it.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Giselle

Was she making a clear concerted effort to conceal his urine, or did it just look like that because she was sniffing the area so vigorously?

Be careful to avoid anthropomorphizing dog behaviors!

Guest bdeeds86

She definitely wasn't smelling the urine, she was burying it with her nose using surrounding snow. Don't worry, I'm not adding human characteristics to my dog. I was just wondering what this behavior meant because I've never seen it before.