Mars Love....squash?!?!?!?

Guest Marsroving

Guest Marsroving

About two weeks ago we made a few acorn squashes for a dinner side. The Mars Rover is usually a very good boy while his parents are eating but for some reason he got very interested as soon as the squash came out of the oven. Given that we hadn't cooked them in butter or anything else I was pretty surprised. After checking to see if there were any food restrictions on squash and not finding any, I went ahead and let him try a small piece of the husk and innards. He absolutely loved it! Yesterday I made a spaghetti squash and once again he came up by the oven, tail wagging as soon as the squash came out!

Long story short if anyone is looking for a nice fibrous food that is low in fat and easy to give a raw fed doggie, or just any doggie really, I would suggest trying a squash variety! I noticed each time that his digestion seemed to improve and it eliminated his gas. : ) we all know how nice it is when a gassy grey isn't so gassy : ).

Guest Scouts_mom

Well, pumpkin is a kind of squash and we are always advised to give pumpkin when poop is runny!

My dogs love the winter squashes (acorn, butternut, etc.) but they hate summer squash.

Go Mars! Enjoy your squash! My Kimmie eats various veggies; not a big of carrots, though..but she eats asparagus and spinach and various squashes and brussel sprouts and broccoli, etc.. really whatever I'm having; though unseasoned and no onions or sauces, etc. And fruits; cantelope is her #1 favorite; though pretty much all them she likes except for raw tomatoes.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine swears by butternut squash to sort out tummy woes.....I think it and other similar veg work because they contain plenty of moderately digestible fibre, and if they like it then even better.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Thanks. Last night I did a crock pot with squash, sweet potatoe and chicken breasts (boneless and skinless) as a topper to their kibble. My 12 y,.o. is getting picky but she gobbled up the food last night.

My girlie only likes it with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon! It's a surefire way to get her to eat if we are on vacation and she's being finicky!

Exactly how us humans at the house like it

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

When my Sobe had Cancer - I put him on a homecooked meat diet. What really perked up his appetite - was when I added sweet potatoes, or squash. He needed some fiber anyway - and squash did the trick. Anytime I make squash - I always give my dogs some of the leftovers.

Found out mine likes to eat the pumpkin pieces left over from carving the Halloween pumpkin.

OH yes! We learned that! Dumped pumpkin pieces in the dead garden and found the dogs gourging on them! They loved them - and no ill effects.