Greycee Has A Scrape On Her Side

Guest RobinAZ

Guest RobinAZ

Last night I noticed a scrape about the size of a nickel on GreyCee's side. It's raw and still bleeding some. I don't know when it happened or how, I never heard her scream. This morning it looks about the same. i Does she need to go to the vet or can I treat this with Neosporin or something? This is actually the first time in 4 years either of mine have hurt themselves, so I don't want to either over-react (my tendency) or under-react.

Guest RobinAZ

Thank you. It isn't expanding at all, which is what I was so worried about. I'm trying to keep her from licking it, which is difficult. I panicked when I first saw it, having never had this happen before and heard horror stories of hounds where it tears. It's just still oozing blood. Which I guess is helping to keep it clean? I'm going to the pharmacy in a bit for some supplies.

It's just still oozing blood. Which I guess is helping to keep it clean? I'm going to the pharmacy in a bit for some supplies.

Oozing some serum is fine. It might do that off & on for a day or so. Or it might stop later today. Also, some licking is fine. As long as it isn't looking worse she's probably just doing her own version of wound care. Some dogs can get a bit obsessive about it. Those are the ones I worry about & make an effort to dissuade them.

I've found colloidal silver works well for things like this but there are plenty of other things. You can also just leave it be as long as it isn't dirty. Just keep an eye on it. If she's licking then whatever you put on won't last long anyway.

Edited by kudzu

I just had almost the same thing happen to Gigi. I noticed a spot on her back about the size of a quarter, but apparently it had happened the night before and was already healing. I cleaned it and sprayed some liquid bandage on it. It's not getting any bigger so I'm keeping an eye on it. I got the liquid bandage from Petsmart!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest RobinAZ

I just had almost the same thing happen to Gigi. I noticed a spot on her back about the size of a quarter, but apparently it had happened the night before and was already healing. I cleaned it and sprayed some liquid bandage on it. It's not getting any bigger so I'm keeping an eye on it. I got the liquid bandage from Petsmart!

Does the liquid bandage sting? Does it help?

Also where do I get collodial silver?

The first bottle of colloidal silver I got was at GNC. The next time it was actually a spray from the vet's office with colloidal silver as the active ingredient. The spray was easier for me but the hound in question clearly preferred the application of the liquid as opposed to the spray.

A small cut should heal up just fine...might leave a small scar.

I have found that Greyhounds seem to scar more than other breeds...maybe because their skin is so thin.

CS is great stuff...I have it in spray and gel. I also have some with aloe.

I use it on minor scrapes on the horses, too.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg