Sigh. Why Now?

Just finished Christmas shopping. Was generous. Came home. Let girls into backyard. Duck inside for a drink. Hear godawful noise. Shout and run outside to find Brandi limping and Paige with a huge gash under her eye.

Establish Brandi has lost some skin. Paige heads to vet where we find two puncture wounds I. The throat, one of which just missed the jugular.

So, anaesthetic and stitches later, I'm left with a big credit card bill just before Christmas, a car needing servicing and a very woozy little dog.

She's coming home tonight.

No idea what triggered the altercation. I suspect squabbling over a lizard but Brandi is upset at home.

It never ends does it?

:( (((hugs))) At least it wasn't worse, but yeah it always stacks up like that :(

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

She's home in her bed beside me sleeping it off. The worst puncture wound is 3cm deep. Any of the wounds a mm either way would have resulted in a much worse outcome. So I'm grateful that my little bossy squeak box is still with me. Brandi has been very upset all night too. She was worried when Paige came home and was very submissive. We'll be careful for now and see what happens. Watching out for infection.

My Christmas present is my two girls still being here.

They'll now be muzzled outside and also when left alone. TBH I'm tempted to crate one of them just now as well. Hard to believe they've lived together for over two years with absolutely no troubles before.

Guest grey_dreams

I've heard other people with multiples say that pack dynamics can start to become a factor when you have three or more dogs. Maybe things are still sorting out, especially for Brandi, since the introduction of Hermon. Agree with 4My2Greys about muzzling them when they are out together, and it would likely be best to monitor them too (if possible). Make sure that there are no high value items left around at home when you are gone (Kongs, bones, prized toys) so to diminish the opportunities for arguments to arise inside. If they are fine with muzzles, then muzzling them when you are gone would probably be good. Glad it wasn't worse, but sorry that you all are dealing with this.

I'm so sorry this happened, but as you said it could have been so much worse. Nova has scars on her neck from before she came to me. I suspect that like yours it could have been much worse. Very scary.

As much as I don't like to muzzle I do it anyway. I finally figured out it bothered me more than the pups.

Something similar happened to us years ago....let the dogs out, they were both hurt. What happened was that one was out of sight behind some bushes, the other one went running out and didn't see him....they collided. Buddy had a messed up canine tooth, Rascal had a puncture in her chest. Really not an 'altercation', but more of an accident. Sounds like something similar could've happened with your dogs.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Sorry this happened and thankfully Paige is okay. Sounds like muzzles are the way to go and like I say to DW, they don't bother them and they don't hurt so unless we are going to be running beside them all the time to make sure no altercations happen, muzzle will at least help. Hopefully Paige heals well and you have no repeats of this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest carriej

I had my two boys (now gone to the bridge) here for 6 years together. I only had 1 issue and it was in the house when Kowalla just decided to bite Freeman - twice (Kowalla took seizures, led to aggressive behavior), which needed stitches. After Kowalla was treated with phenobarbital it never happened again. I guess I am very lucky, as those dogs were never, ever muzzled... And to be honest, they didn't even really like each other that much lol. They never interacted at all unless they were seperated - there was lots of excitement when they were reunited.

We are only going to have one hound in the house from here in on; would love to have more, but just too nervous of something like that happening.

Thank you all very much. Paige had a quiet night and I'm hoping she'll be feeling a bit better this morning. I know she had a quiet night, because I had a bad one!

I do feel stupid though! I always supervise when they're outside. Except this time, when I went to grab a drink. Well done me! So muzzles, supervision and crating is the way to go. And more work with Brandi. Already doing NILF but looks like we'll be going a bit further too.