Is It Possible To Give Steroids Without An Nsaid Washout Period?

Is possible to stop giving Metacam and give a steroid like prednisone for example, without a washout period? I know this is strongly contra-indicated because of GI effects, but I am wondering if it is possible to mitigate those effects to reduce the risk if it looks like a steroid would be very beneficial. If so, I would like to discuss those mitigation options with my vet.

Please respect my wish not to discuss the backstory at this time, it is a difficult situation and I just don't have it in me right now. Thank you for this, and for your help.

It isn't the best idea but I have done it. The alternative in my case was to euthanize. Pred didn't work either but at least over those several hours there were no adverse GI effects. You can mitigate the potential for those effects with a good stomach-protecting med.

I hope you can find something to help in your situation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have done it with a couple dogs. It isn't what we wanted to do but the GI risks seemed less pressing than the other symptoms for which the pred was prescribed. I think it's a judgement call to be made in a case by case basis.

I agree with the previous responses. In life-threatening situations (including where quality of life makes the alternative euthanasia), this can be done. This was something we considered when my girl had what we suspected was bartonellosis, but ended up not having to because she started improving with a little more time. The stomach protectant medication of choice during the switch is misoprostol, and second choice would be a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole (Prilosec). H2 blockers like Pepcid may not be strong enough for this purpose.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg