Pln

Guest kar

PLN = protein loosing nephropathy

Had a lurcher with PLN. Vet recommended omega 3 fish oil. I gave her a high EPA fish oil cap. It's 1360 mg fish oil per cap with omega 3 amounts as follows: 625 mg EPA, 244 mg DHA. Have heard of people using Grizzly salmon oil but I have no personal experience with it.

She was 45 lbs & got two caps a day.

SLO = Symmetrical Lupoid Onychodystrophy

It's an autoimmune disease of the nail beds. It causes inflammation & makes them shed their nails. It's not kidney related. In both cases though the omega 3 fatty acids can bu used to reduce inflammation & for immune mediating factors.

Give the entire capsule.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

another question - snow has started to urinate in the house - wont do it for two weeks and then does it again could this be from her pln (kidney disease) vet said no not related - does anyone have a dog with pln who could shed some light on this?

do you mean bun creatine ratio? it was .7 then .9 and now they say 1. But the protein in her urine is high. She never raced. but found out protein loosing neuropathy is in her line. vet said her urinating in house has nothing to do with this. other times she had a uti when this happened but this time no uti.

do you mean bun creatine ratio? it was .7 then .9 and now they say 1. But the protein in her urine is high. She never raced. but found out protein loosing neuropathy is in her line. vet said her urinating in house has nothing to do with this. other times she had a uti when this happened but this time no uti.

I would probably go to another vet for a second opinion. Kidney issues can be associated with frequent urination or not being able to hold it. What are the blood and urine values?

UPC is urine protein:creatinine ratio. It is usually added to the urinalysis when PLN is suspected or a dog is being worked up for renal issues. BUN:Cre ratio is a blood test & can also be very useful in evaluating renal health but does not help diagnose PLN. Take a look at your dog's urinalysis to see if the vet added UPC.

In my limited experience with PLN the hound never had accidents in the house. Is your dog drinking a lot? Or could weather perhaps effecting how often or how long your dog is spending outside? Sometimes my dogs pee a couple times when going out to potty. Just wondering if maybe she isn't staying out long enough to take care of all the business she needs to.

When checking for the UTI did they do a urine culture in addition to the urinalysis?

While they can usually see evidence of UTI just looking at a urinalysis, sometimes it does take a urine culture. If it's always been a UTI in the past then I'd be inclined to request a urine culture just to be sure.

Hope you can find the cause of the accidents. It's frustrating for the humans & clearly points to some problem for the dog, whether physical or some emotional/behavioral prob. Good luck.

blood values were good - don't have other values on urine other than the bun/creatin ratio.

"Good" using Greyhound parameters or "other dog" parameters?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead