Hurk/gag/swallow

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Hi Folks,

I seem to think my other guys used to do this too, but when you go from having multiples to one sometimes you second guess yourself.

Chance has gotten into what I am calling the "Hurk, Gag & Swallow". I caught him doing it once today. He will gag a little, hurk a little, then swallow and then he teeth chatters. It lasts a few seconds. He usually does this after playing with a fun toy, anticipating a treat or sometimes for what appears to me as no reason at all. Sometimes he will do it once a day, sometimes he will go days without doing it.

Is this some sort of weird excitement behavior? It's not reverse sneezing - he hasn't done that yet. My Freeman was a reverse sneezer and his honking would wake us up at 3am.

He is only 2 years old; so I am skeptical to think it's anything extremely sinister.

I got myself all into thinking may be has some kind of partial bloat (as he likes to roll over after eating which concerns the hell out of me) but I don't even know if that is such a thing. He is still behaving totally normal. Maybe the hurking is normal for him, I don't know.

Sweep does it as well...I used to think it was reverse sneezing, but it does seem to happen most often when she's excited about a treat or her favorite hedgehog stuffie. :flip It passes within a minute and she's none the worse for wear.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Chance murdered his $25 extra jumbo 16" hedgie... :(

He killed the grunter mechanism within a few days... And chipped a tooth doing so.

Poor hedgie.

RIP, hedgie. Sweep just tries to drown them in slobber.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest carriej

Chance would lick his... Groom it, if you will. It's like he wanted it to die and then he was all "I'm sorry"...

He seems to be playing a bit nicer with toys now; I think it was that hard grunter *stick* in the middle that set him off. It was hard and he had to kill that.

Kasey does this at times, to where I thought it was too abnormal to just be "excitement". Turns out he had acid reflux. Pepcid solved that, which I'm now actually using Slippery Elm to control instead. Sounds like yours is just excited but I would guess acid reflux as the next culprit.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015