Bloody Toenail - Need Advice

Ruby just came in from enjoying a frozen turkey neck and her front outer toenail was so bloody I couldn't tell where the blood is coming from. She wasn't limping when she came in and it is hard to wipe all the blood off to see exactly what is going on. Seems to be tender to the touch but other than me poking at it and trying to wipe it off, doesn't seem like it is hurting her. Nail looks intact. She was out in the grass and I know there is nothing out there that is dangerous for her, not worried about glass, etc.....

She is now sleeping on a blood soaked bed, peaceful as can be.

Would you do anything with it ? Wrap it ? the bleeding has stopped and she is not licking at it but she was very interested in the blood on the bed. Anything I need to watch for ?

Thanks

Karen

If it were me, and Ruby was Annie, I would just keep an eye on it. If there's no cut, there's probably nothing to wrap. A few weeks ago Annie sorta ripped her dew claw where it joins the leg. There was just a little bit of blood. I washed it. I kissed her head and said, "Be careful." Nothing ever came of it and I forgot about it until just now.

You'll want to clean it at some point and make sure the toe isn't broken, but most likely she poked a stick or something into it. Watch it for infection - I would probably epsom salt soak it two or three times a day and apply a wound spray of some sort until it heals. At least it's dry outside now!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly