Itchy Skin Big Problem

Guest Sh3rryann

Guest Sh3rryann

My dog Lucy starches herself constantly and we have used Itch Ease Medicated Spray which has made it worse. Also we used some other spray which didn't work. Any suggestions please?

Guest Clawsandpaws

I think you need to figure out why she is scratching so much before you can decide a product/medication to use. Is the itching in one area? Several areas? Where are they? Have you ruled out allergies? Skin conditions? Fleas?

Guest Sh3rryann

I think you need to figure out why she is scratching so much before you can decide a product/medication to use. Is the itching in one area? Several areas? Where are they? Have you ruled out allergies? Skin conditions? Fleas?

She is itchy every where! I do not think she has fleas or she would have passed it onto my other grey Otis. Thank you!

Guest Sh3rryann

Lucy, my grey, is having the worst itchy skin problem. She itches frequently. We have tried all kinds of anti-itch spray, but none have helped. She is itchy everywhere! Every time we pet her she wants to be scratched any where. Any suggestions please? This is something we are very concerned about because have never had a grey have this problem.

Just because one dog is itchy and the other isn't doesn't rule out fleas. Dogs that are allergic to flea saliva get very itchy when they have just a couple fleas. Dogs that aren't allergic to fleas can be covered with fleas and not be really itchy.

I agree that you need to figure out, or at least get an idea of, the cause of the itching before it can be addressed. Best to have her examined by a vet.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Just because one dog is itchy and the other isn't doesn't rule out fleas. Dogs that are allergic to flea saliva get very itchy when they have just a couple fleas.

I was shocked to find out that one of my indoor cats had a flea allergy. It was only a couple of fleas (I think from my house plants), but it wreaked havoc on her. Even though all of my cats were indoors at the time, they all had to get Frontline. Anyway, if it's not fleas, it definitely sounds like an allergy or skin infection. I'd take her to the vet and get an exam and skin scraping.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I was shocked to find out that one of my indoor cats had a flea allergy. It was only a couple of fleas (I think from my house plants), but it wreaked havoc on her. Even though all of my cats were indoors at the time, they all had to get Frontline. Anyway, if it's not fleas, it definitely sounds like an allergy or skin infection. I'd take her to the vet and get an exam and skin scraping.

My indoor cat too! One bite and she loses fur all over her head and neck. It was terrifying the first time it happened.

Guest BlueCrab

If she's itchy all over, then yes, as Susan says, she's allergic to something. Food often comes to mind as the first cause. I've not face food allergies, thankfully, but if you start by searching "food allergy" in H&M as well as the Diet sections, you should come up with some good ideas. Hopefully those with more experience will chime in as well.