Male Dogs Development

Well, Jack will be two next month he has always been, let's say, a little delayed in his development. He is very petite (just 50 pounds), is very sweet and very good natured. Lately he has been going through a bit of a, for lack of a better term, "testosterone surge" Suddenly my sweet little Jack is becoming a marking monster (outside only), has become increasingly protective of the yard (which is fenced in and which I don't mind as there can be sketchy folk around my neighborhood) and is finally beginning to stick up for himself with other dogs, definitely not as submissive as he used to be. My guess is he is finally becoming a bit more confident and his brain has finally caught up to his male body. None of these issues have presented a problem but I don't want them to escalate either. I think this is a normal developmental stage, Jack just reached it a bit late? Anyway, I am working with him on NILIF and reinforcing his good manners. Other suggestions to help Jack remain a good canine citizen through this phase? Jack was neutered at about 9 months. The other factor with Jack is that he is blind in one eye which keeps him extra alert to strange noises and people who approach the house he is not familiar with. Thanks, Linda, Jack and Keeva

sounds pretty normal to me. felix was also neutered at 9 months. his physical strength will also be showing a marked increase. at that age felix started running into us - by accident- knocking us down! watch out, it's strength and lack of control- not intent. the macho thing seemed to go in cycles. he's still an adolescent and many brain farts will appear along the way to full maturity. maturity seemed to happen some where in felix's 3rd year. but the boys remain boys- big boys. in my experience the girls/females are the brains of the operation.

as to the watch dog personality- the non-track dogs were never given the "official handbook". they are clueless to greyhounds being non-barkers. i did have a saluki who was blind in one eye, didn't change his protective personality or shall i say non-protective personality and alert reaction to sounds. dogs w/ monocular vision never know the difference and compensation in innate.

as to the watch dog personality- the non-track dogs were never given the "official handbook". they are clueless to greyhounds being non-barkers. i did have a saluki who was blind in one eye, didn't change his protective personality or shall i say non-protective personality and alert reaction to sounds. dogs w/ monocular vision never know the difference and compensation in innate.

Haha, tell that to Dane. He totally barks when people come over, and he really dislikes it when delivery people talk to me from behind the couch for some reason, and he a retiree :flip Sometimes dogs are just dogs.

Before 2 years of age all large breed pups are brainless. I think the girls might get their brains first, but certainly wouldn't count on it. Kili is 15 months (almost) and is a complete teenager. Has been getting better over the last 1-2 months but I'm not getting my hopes up until the 18-24 month time frame.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Truman hit his last fear stage right around 2-years-old. At that point, he was really overcompensating for everything. Being macho, getting snarky all the time. He's 26 months now, and he's slowing down and mostly coming out of that. We amped up his training and made sure he was enrolled in classes consistently, which seemed to help.