Help! Night Time Out Not Happening!

Guest SMARZ4987

Guest SMARZ4987

Hi folks! My family and I adopted our first grey, Tiger, in August and he has been my shadow since day one<3 The only "issue" that has arisen (about 2 weeks ago) is that he will NOT get up to go out before I go to bed at night. I've tried luring him with treats, sweet talk, leashing and nudging him off of his bed - most of the time he'll pick his head up for a few seconds before deciding he is much too comfortable to be bothered with the NJ fall nights (I do have a coat for him). Has anyone else encountered the same behavior that can offer some advice?

Is he having potty issues? Sometimes my girl wants to go out and sometimes she acts like your boy. My feeling is as long as she doesn't have potty issues I don't worry about it.

One of my first greys, years ago, did the same thing. I tried everything to get her out - nothing worked. So, since she was very good in the house with no accidents, I decided to stop forcing her and let her decide if she wanted to go out. This worked out perfectly. Over the years she was with us (she passed at age 12) she never had an accident in the house. Some nights at bedtime, she'd go out but most nights she would not, and she slept all through the night. She's the only one of the seven I've had since that was that way, but for her it worked well. Good luck.

Payton often does the same thing-by 9:00 pm, he is in a coma in his bed. If Tiger is not having accidents in the house or needing to go out in middle of the night, then I would not worry about it. If he is, try bringing outside a little earlier before he gets comfortable for the night.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Guest SMARZ4987

Thanks, everyone! Tiger has no potty issues or accidents in the house, so it sounds like maybe he just really doesn't have to go out before bed - I'll lighten up on badgering him =]

Guest Sh3rryann

My dog Otis when he decides he doesn't want to go potty at night he runs to his kennel and lies there and tells me he isn't moving . He is just so lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest laura150

Sometimes Ernie doesn't feel like going out either. If I know he's had a lot to drink and will likely be crossing his legs at 3am, I drop a carrot or something crunchy in his bowl to peak his interest. Once he gets up to get the treat, he's fine w/going out. I don't have to do it every night, but the treat clinking in the bowl helps if he's not into it.

My girl is like yours. Once asleep for the night, there's no going out until the next morning because she has no interest in breaking up her sound sleep. Her last out is anywhere between 7 PM and 8 PM and we're up in the morning about 6. As others have said, if he's not peeing in the house, all is well.

Edited by Feisty49