Jump to content

Subcutaneous Fluids


Recommended Posts

My grey Bess was diagnosed with an intestinal mass last Wed. at the ER doc. She had been given subcutanous fluids when I took her to our regular vet on Tuesday after her blood tests revealed she is anemic. We are biding our time now but I wonder when I should bring her back to the doc for another dose of the fluids? Is a week reasonable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest sireltonsmom

I'm sorry Bess has a mass. Call your vet and ask him today. When Sir Elton had an infection from a blocked salivary gland, his temperature went up to 105. They gave him subcutaneous fluids two days in a row to bring his temp down and to hydrate him. In the meantime, please encourage your sweet girl to drink water or Gatorade to replace electrolytes. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if it would help or not, check with your vet. As I understand it, sub-q fluids are primarily to flush out toxins (so used with kidney problems) and counter dehydration.

I will check with the secondary vet we brought her to. The first vet doesn't seem interested anymore after we took her to the ER vet for the ultrasound rather than wait for the primary to get the portable ultrasound machine in, in 2 days time...I actually apologized to the guy when I told him we didn't want to wait the 2 days. I feel like he has dismissed us but that may be my emotions talking...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SQ fluids may make your baby feel a little bit better-esp if she's dehydrated but, sadly she's most likely anemic because of the cancer or her kidneys are now impaired. Do you remember what her PCV % (hct) was?? It's also really hard to be able to give enough fluids sq in a large dogs like a gh to make a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SQ fluids may make your baby feel a little bit better-esp if she's dehydrated but, sadly she's most likely anemic because of the cancer or her kidneys are now impaired. Do you remember what her PCV % (hct) was?? It's also really hard to be able to give enough fluids sq in a large dogs like a gh to make a difference.

I called the specialist from Red Bank who treated her and she said the sub Q fluids are mainly for dehydration due to vomiting and since Bess stopped vomiting once the Cerenia kicked in (I guess that is what did it) they really are not indicated. HCT was 23.9%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...