Frequency Of Intestinal Masses

Can anyone tell me how "common" intestinal masses (whether biopsied or diagosed via ultrasound) are in our greys? Anyone out there familar with statistics? Two dogs of mine have been diagnosed in 3 months, ages 10 and 12.5. We are all too familar with osteo but are instances of lymphoma or IBD even more rampant?

All I can add is that lymphoma is the most common canine cancer.

As you know I lost my first greyhound to lymphoma in his intestines and his littermate is dealing with IBD. But I think our story is just anecdotal.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Intestinal masses are fairly uncommon in dogs in general, and greyhounds don't seem to be any more likely to be affected. Even though lymphoma is the most common canine cancer, it's usually the multicentric form involving lymph nodes. Intestinal lymphoma is fairly unusual in dogs (but relatively common in cats). I don't have any stats, but it's more likely to be bad luck with your hounds rather than a common problem in the greyhound breed.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

FWIW, when we were trying to figure out what was wrong with Piper, who was too weak to be scoped, Dr. Couto told my vet that intestinal cancer is unlikely in a greyhound. We think that's what she did have, and Graham as well, but I think that was just a fluke. Just like the fact that 4 of the 7 I've lost had OS--OS is not _that_ common.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Intestinal masses are fairly uncommon in dogs in general, and greyhounds don't seem to be any more likely to be affected. Even though lymphoma is the most common canine cancer, it's usually the multicentric form involving lymph nodes. Intestinal lymphoma is fairly unusual in dogs (but relatively common in cats). I don't have any stats, but it's more likely to be bad luck with your hounds rather than a common problem in the greyhound breed.

Thank you for clarifying. I realize my statement was misleading.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)