Rubbing Nose And Face On Things?

Guest Waterdog66

Guest Waterdog66

Audrey has recently started a new behavior that at first glance, seems to be just part of her personality and warming up to us.

Whenever she gets excited about being with us, (Going for a walk, car ride or even some times when one of us just walks in the door) she will rub the side of her nose or even the whole side of her face on things. The side of the sofa but most often our leg or body. In the morning she started doing this on the comforter on the bed. But rarely on hard surfaces like tables or other furniture. (It is not just to scratch herself)

OK, so I did a search on this first and all that came up was that "She has all the symptoms of a Brain Tumor" :rolleyes:

Methinks the GT Folks have a better idea of what is going on.....

Her behavior appears to be something having to do with her being happy and she never does it otherwise. I am not worried about it; just curious I guess about what this is all about.

I see cats doing the same thing with their owners but I think that has something to do with marking and scent. (I doubt it is the same thing)

Any ideas?

Desi does this a lot. Rubbing on the couch, chair, usually happens after a meal & he's just cleaning his face.

When he rubs on me, it's happiness, excitement, and love. That's my story & I'm stickin to it.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Tasha (non-grey) does this increasingly every fall because of seasonal allergies that make her itchy. Her eyes are more watery and ears get redder and more itchy. If it doesn't seem to be an itchy behavior it's probably just excitement/affection. Rudy rubs his whole body alongside my bed in the morning as I'm getting up. He also pushes and rubs against me like a cat when I'm getting my shoes and socks on to go for a walk.

Edited by k9soul

I notice Dane often rubs the side of his face against the floor or the ground. I assume he is just itching his face and is too lazy/can't be bothered to sit up and scratch it normally XD Sometimes when I'm loving on him, he'll kinda direct me to the side of his face a bit, so I give it a good rub-down then :hehe

Guest Doggone

Autumn has done this as soon as she became comfortable and secure with me. ITA that it's done only in moments of either happiness or anticipation (when she sees me putting on "the" shoes for our walks :) ). She has never been a licker, but from early on, it's been "nosies" or "rubbies" to show affection or glee :D.

Bailey our first grey used to do this and Brooke does it as well, especially when she's excited in the morning. Just ask Robin...one morning she woke up when her bed started moving :lol

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest LunaTheGreyt

Luna rubs her whole body against me and any surface (furniture, walls, doors) when she's excited about something. It reminds me of a cat!

Guest lunasmom

My Luna has been rubbing her face against me and in my lap since I got her. It's her morning ritual... and when I get home from work, and whenever else she feels like a good face rub! She will occasionally rub her whole body on things too, especially after a bath if I did not dry her off enough. It's funny to watch when she decides to rub her face and neck on the floor, she does this with her back end still standing. It's kind of like a play bow except her front legs are awkwardly under her and her neck and chin are flat on the floor. I should try to get a picture sometime :)

Guest LazyBlaze

Blaze does this as well, usually when he's happy. He rubs his face against doorframes, the palm of my hand, pillows etc. I wonder if it's some sort of residual behaviour from having to wear muzzles a lot in their racing lives, as Blaze seems to rub where his muzzle would have been fitted. I wonder if it's an associative thing somehow.

Guest Waterdog66

I am sure that in Audrey's case it has more to do with her happiness level than actually needing to scratch.

She exhibits Other "happy" behaviors when she is doing this and never does it otherwise. (She always scratches her face with her paw):

1). Wiggle Worm - She will cork screw along as she walks wagging her whole body side to side

2). Hoppies - Bounces up and down on her front paws (Little Jumps with her back feet still on the ground)

3). Nose Butts - Prodding and poking with her nose trying to herd us into doing what she wants

4). Rooing - When she gets really excited she starts rooing at us. Sometimes in a very low deep voice (Like a bark) and other times in full wail mode

5). Rubbing her face...

I suspect LazyBlaze might be onto something. Watching hounds get out of the hauler with their muzzles on appear to do something very similar; but then I too would be happy to get out of the hauler muzzle or no muzzle :D

Guest elizabeth7418

Addy does this all the time, too. In the morning, it's full body rubs down the side of our bed, and whenever she's excited or getting lovin' (i.e. head rubs), she'll rub her eyes into our hands. She also tells us she wants more lovin' by rubbing her eyes/ears with her paws. I don't think her eye's are itchy or anything, I think it just feels really good to her.

Phoebe uses our couch and ottoman after every meal...as her napkin. :lol

Same here. Either the couch or the doorway into the kitchen. Hearing "Lila the ______is not your doggie napkin." Is a common phrase in our house.

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry used to use the couch as a napkin but hasn't done it in a while. When I get home from work he rubs his face on my leg daily. He reminds me of a giant cat :)