Therapaw/boot Question(S)

I have some questions for those of you who use therapaws, or other boots. I guess mostly they are used for corns? I was looking for something to support/protect Sallie's toe, which she has now broken or dislocated four times, three times in the last month. My vet suggested one of those open hard splints, but I don't want to use that long term. I am looking for something to stabilize things so we don't have to amputate.

So, my questions, can you just use one, or do they need to be "balanced"? How hard was it for your dog to get used to wearing the boot? Anyone come up with something they like better for soft support (for lack of a better term)? Thanks!

Guest BlueCrab

We use them for Trixie's corns, and we usually only use one at a time, as one foot is much worse than the other. She's fine about wearing boots - or one boot at a time, which I guess is the first hurdle to get over, as I guess some dogs hate having their feet touched, messed with, etc. We use them for hikes or long walks on pavement. But once she's stationary for any length of time (e.g. taking a break on a hike, or finished and sitting down), she starts messing with it and wants it off. They're definitely pretty supportive. There are other boots out there that are softer and that Trixie might like better and would be more tolerant of in the house, but for hikes and outdoor activities, the Therapaws fit the bill for us. Softer, slipper-type booties (e.g. to help with grip on hardwood floors, or to protect a wound) probably wouldn't be supportive enough for your purposes.

Edited to add, Trixie is really sensitive to cold, so we have winter boots for her as well (Defender boots? Can't recall the name) for when we're in NY and it's frigid. But again they're not supportive - just more protective.

Edited by BlueCrab

Therapaw wouldn't do that. Somewhere in here I have an old post about wrapping Zema's dislocated toe. I think "Zema" and "dislocated" are both in the title. Your situation may be different, but it might give you some ideas for how to wrap the toe to support it, without using a hard splint.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Therapaw wouldn't do that. Somewhere in here I have an old post about wrapping Zema's dislocated toe. I think "Zema" and "dislocated" are both in the title. Your situation may be different, but it might give you some ideas for how to wrap the toe to support it, without using a hard splint.

Thanks, I will look for that for now, but I am really looking for something long term for her to wear after it heals. I don't think wrapping is an option for everyday.

We use them for Trixie's corns, and we usually only use one at a time, as one foot is much worse than the other. She's fine about wearing boots - or one boot at a time, which I guess is the first hurdle to get over, as I guess some dogs hate having their feet touched, messed with, etc. We use them for hikes or long walks on pavement. But once she's stationary for any length of time (e.g. taking a break on a hike, or finished and sitting down), she starts messing with it and wants it off. They're definitely pretty supportive. There are other boots out there that are softer and that Trixie might like better and would be more tolerant of in the house, but for hikes and outdoor activities, the Therapaws fit the bill for us. Softer, slipper-type booties (e.g. to help with grip on hardwood floors, or to protect a wound) probably wouldn't be supportive enough for your purposes.

Edited to add, Trixie is really sensitive to cold, so we have winter boots for her as well (Defender boots? Can't recall the name) for when we're in NY and it's frigid. But again they're not supportive - just more protective.

good to know! she is pretty tolerant of having her feet messed with, unlike some of my others

Has she had an x-ray? Really want a current one. That'll give you better data to plan how to HEAL it. Once it's healed properly, shouldn't need anything. But it can take as long as 12 weeks to heal, depending on just what's wrong.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

NeoPaws wouldn't be any more corrective than a Therapaw. Both are primarily cushioning mechanisms. A snug fit of either one might support a toe ... in a position that could make it quite nastily worse. You really need to find out what is wrong with the toe.

Well, got x-rays this afternoon. Toe is badly dislocated but not broken. Vet gave her a little propafal (didn't put her completely out) and some pain meds and put it back in place. Padded the toe and wrapped it up. We'll leave it wrapped for about a month (with bandage changes, of course) and hope it holds, but the edges of the joint look a little worn, and the ligament is probably at least stretched if not torn. Poor little drama queen has been whining for the last few hours, I hope when I can feed her, in about an hour, it will help settle her down.

Poor bug. Glad it wasn't broken, tho!