E Collar Or Muzzle Safe In The Crate?

Guest knowimagination

Guest knowimagination

So I came home saturday to find rush with a big cut on her front left "elbow" it wasn't deep it was kind of like something just scraped the top couple layers off. Still haven't figured out how it happened but we went to the vet today and she cleaned it up and sent her home with an e collar. No surprise but Rush just doesn't seem to be getting used to it at all. I have partially taped up her muzzle and she is currently wearing that, she isn't really thrilled with it either but she tolerates it.

My question is based on the location of the wound I am thinking about putting a tshirt on her so that she doesn't have access to it, but I am not sure if that is enough for while she has to be crated tomorrow. Is it safe to have the muzzle on in the crate? is the e collar safer? With the shirt does she even need anything on?

Sorry for all the questions we haven't had too many issues with Rush so far so I am still not sure exactly what to do when things like this come up.

Thanks

Edited by knowimagination

I'm NOT a fan of E-collars. I definitely wouldn't crate a dog with one on. A taped muzzle should be fine in the crate. Can you vet-wrap it so she can't get to it as easily instead? I don't know if a T-shirt will cover the elbow well enough to work. Maybe.

Is she fussing with the wound too much? If it's not bad, a little licking won't hurt.

If it were me - I'd probably vet wrap it - no E-collar, no muzzle. But - it's about what you and your dog are cool with.

How long will she be crated? Do you have water in the crate? If she needs to drink you have to keep that in mind with a taped muzzle.

Guest knowimagination

I'm NOT a fan of E-collars. I definitely wouldn't crate a dog with one on. A taped muzzle should be fine in the crate. Can you vet-wrap it so she can't get to it as easily instead? I don't know if a T-shirt will cover the elbow well enough to work. Maybe.

Is she fussing with the wound too much? If it's not bad, a little licking won't hurt.

If it were me - I'd probably vet wrap it - no E-collar, no muzzle. But - it's about what you and your dog are cool with.

How long will she be crated? Do you have water in the crate? If she needs to drink you have to keep that in mind with a taped muzzle.

After looking at it it is closer to the shoulder than the elbow so the t-shirt covers it pretty well. She will only be in her crate about 4-5 hours. When I am home I have no problems with just having her in the t-shirt with me monitoring her.

My main concern is what to do in the crate to feel good that it is not being licked but that she is also safe.

I don't think an e-collar will even fit in a crate! ;)

A taped muzzle *should* be fine, unless you have a dog that can get out of it like mine can. I'd come home to a chewed up muzzle and a licking dog!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Muzzle in the crate, and duct tape over the holes that would let her lick the wound. The t-shirt is helpful, but it's not enough if she's bored or itchy.

And while a little licking is fine, you want NO licking to occur unless you're there to supervise. My first girl had a 4-stitch wound at the inside of her elbow: she could reach it, even muzzled, unless I taped the muzzle. And one night, feeling sorry for her and knowing the wound was well bandaged, I let her sleep with me with the muzzle off--figuring I'd hear her if she started licking. I woke up about 3am with no dog in the bed. She'd gotten up quietly, left the bedroom, and gone to the end of the hall to lick in peace. She'd licked/chewed the bandage off and removed all her stitches. The wound healed, but it left a big scar.

132672936_9a9b63fc10.jpg

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)