Skin Yeast Infection

Guest Zizi

Has anyone dealt with this with there hound? I have posted in the pass about Jerzis white flakes on her. Thought at first it may have been dry skin. As I have been doing research I have seen many articles on dogs and cats that talk about skin yeast infections. Never new they could get on there skin. A.ways new about ears.

So I am wondering if maybe we are dealing with yeast as a pose to dry skin. She has been on fish oil but only for 3 weeks. Prolly to soon to see a change, but this almost seems to be getting worse. She does not scratch at all. She doesn't seem to be bothered by this in any way. It is bothering me more than her I think.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

She does not have any bad or foul odor at all. When I pet her there is a light scent on my hand but not a bad smell. I don't know if what I smell is there normal scent or should I be concerned because I do smell something.

Guest cruzNhounds

Our Molly (non grey) had yeast. It cleared up by changing her food from Natures Domain (costco red bag) to Diamond's Natural Senoir and bathing her in Main 'n' Tail Pro-Tect Antimicrobial Medicated Shampoo.

Diamond Natural Senior Dry

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/dogs/dry_food/senior_8_dog_formula/

Main 'n' Tail Pro-Tect Antimicrobial Medicated Shampoo

http://manentailequine.com/products/pro-tect-antimicrobial-medicated-shampoo/

ETA...If your dog has skin yeast don't feed potato.

Edited by cruzNhounds

My Carly had skin/yeast issues and I started her on virgin coconut oil instead of fish oil and it cleared up her skin problems. Virgin coconut oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

it take a good 6+weeks for fish oil or any other suppliment to do it's thing. if it's not smelly or itchy than it's probably dry skin. what color is jerzis? dark dogs show the most dandruff. but i have found that when the greys are blowing coat and getting their new seasonal coat it seems to come along w/ dandruff.

My dad had a dog (non-greyhound) with yeast and other fungal issues...there is no mistaking the horrible odor and itching. We took Penny to a canine dermatologist who put her on some antifungal meds (ketoconazole was one) and gave her weekly baths in Selsun Blue. Improvement was dramatic.

My Carly had skin/yeast issues and I started her on virgin coconut oil instead of fish oil and it cleared up her skin problems. Virgin coconut oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties.

How much do you give, is it liquid or capsule and did it have any effect on the digestive system, i.e. diarrhea?

it take a good 6+weeks for fish oil or any other suppliment to do it's thing. if it's not smelly or itchy than it's probably dry skin. what color is jerzis? dark dogs show the most dandruff. but i have found that when the greys are blowing coat and getting their new seasonal coat it seems to come along w/ dandruff.

Jerzi is black! So of course this stands out a lot! When I rub my fingers through her and lift her fur you can just see it all over her skin.

My dad had a dog (non-greyhound) with yeast and other fungal issues...there is no mistaking the horrible odor and itching. We took Penny to a canine dermatologist who put her on some antifungal meds (ketoconazole was one) and gave her weekly baths in Selsun Blue. Improvement was dramatic.

How much do you give, is it liquid or capsule and did it have any effect on the digestive system, i.e. diarrhea?

She isn't itching at all. Wouldn't she itch if it was dried skin though to?

This method worked for my dogs and they never experienced any diarrhea. I generally buy Nutiva brand virgin coconut oil. It's solid a room temperature. Princess will eat a solid glob like a treat. Carly is picky so I have to warm it until it's liquid and pour it on her food.

"Solid or liquid coconut oil can be added to food at any meal or given between meals. The optimum dose for dogs is about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily, or 1 tablespoon per 30 pounds. These are general guidelines,as some dogs need less and others more. But don’t start with these amounts. Instead, introduce coconut oil a little at a time in divided doses. Because coconut oil kills harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeasts, and fungi, the burden of removing dead organisms can trigger symptoms of detoxification. Headaches, fatigue, diarrhea, and flu-like symptoms are common in humans who consume too much too fast, and similar symptoms can occur in dogs.Even in healthy dogs, large amounts of coconut oil can cause diarrhea or greasy stools while the body adjusts. Start with small amounts, such as ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs or puppies and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Gradually increase the amount every few days. If your dog seems tired or uncomfortable or has diarrhea, reduce the amount temporarily."
Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown