Encounter With A Rose Bush

TINMANPDX

Lea got one of her lovely velvet-black ears snagged on a thorny rose bush earlier today when my husband was walking her. He said she let out the GSOD but he couldn't find anything wrong at the time. Later, I noticed some blood spots on her bed and found a bloody patch about the size of a nickel on the back of one ear. The ear is not torn through. I cleaned it and put a little bacitracin on it and tried a human bandaid, but she shook it off.

How easily do greyhound ears heal? Should I get her to the e vet for stitches immediately, or will it scab and heal on its own? Would it be ok to wait and see how it looks in the morning? Right now, it looks wet and hasn't formed a scab ... that may be because of the bacitracin ointment, though.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Try using a scarf or snood to tie the ear down to the head so it break open whenever she shakes her head.

That would keep her from shaking it off ... I hadn't thought of it before, but I can put a telfa on it and wrap a length of vet wrap around her head too. Thanks for the idea about wrapping it.

Theresa (Tess)

If you don't have a snood, you might be able to make one from the sleeve of an old sweatshirt. It won't fit tight, so it might not annoy her, but it will keep the ear from moving so much when she shakes her head. Just cut the sleeve to go over her head, and you might need to slit the ribbing of the sleeve to keep it from being too tight. It's an alternative, if she won't tolerate the bandage.

It probably will heal on its own, but if she shakes her head a lot, you'll want to head for the vet (but not an e-vet). There's a potential problem called a hematoma that could occur if she shakes her head too much.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If you don't have a snood, you might be able to make one from the sleeve of an old sweatshirt. It won't fit tight, so it might not annoy her, but it will keep the ear from moving so much when she shakes her head. Just cut the sleeve to go over her head, and you might need to slit the ribbing of the sleeve to keep it from being too tight. It's an alternative, if she won't tolerate the bandage.

It probably will heal on its own, but if she shakes her head a lot, you'll want to head for the vet (but not an e-vet). There's a potential problem called a hematoma that could occur if she shakes her head too much.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have encountered the dreaded hematoma with our other grey, Elliott about a year ago. Had to have it lanced and stitched at the vet.

Theresa (Tess)

Those rose bushes can be nasty customers.

Nutmeg came in from the back yard years ago and spattered droplets of blood all over the house. The ENTIRE back of one ear had no top layer of skin. She didn't seem bothered by it. I rushed her to the vet, who said keep it clean with antibacterial stuff; no way to bandage this; and the fur probably wouldn't grow back much. It did heal without trouble, and fur grew back except for about a quarter-size piece right at the tip. She's a dark brindle with dark skin; you can't tell there was a problem unless you closely examine it. Hoping for a similarly good outcome for Lea's silky ear.

Edited to add: You might be interested in searching this forum for threads about Manuka honey, which is used for surface healing.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Those rose bushes can be nasty customers.

Nutmeg came in from the back yard years ago and spattered droplets of blood all over the house. The ENTIRE back of one ear had no top layer of skin. She didn't seem bothered by it. I rushed her to the vet, who said keep it clean with antibacterial stuff; no way to bandage this; and the fur probably wouldn't grow back much. It did heal without trouble, and fur grew back except for about a quarter-size piece right at the tip. She's a dark brindle with dark skin; you can't tell there was a problem unless you closely examine it. Hoping for a similarly good outcome for Lea's silky ear.

Edited to add: You might be interested in searching this forum for threads about Manuka honey, which is used for surface healing.

I have read about Manuka honey on this site and have considered getting some previously to have just in case For pups and humans around here. Now wishing I had. May visit the Whole Foods later tonight or tomorrow morning and get some.

Thanks!

Theresa (Tess)

Guest kkaiser104

I agree about the immobilization! Teddi and Evan (my parents grey) got into a scuffle last year and Teddi's ear was cut. It took FOREVER to heal and my house looked like a murder scene. We used tefla and vet wrap