Benign (?) Cysts

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

A couple of years ago, Gretchen had a cyst removed from her rear end. I had at first thought it was an engorged tick, but the vet told me it was a cyst and recommended removal. She mentioned a biopsy but said she didn't think it was cancerous, so we went ahead with the simple removal while Gretchen was having her teeth cleaned. Although the removal left a scar and a bald spot, the cyst hasn't returned and the vet said everything looks fine there.

About couple of weeks ago I noticed another cyst just above Gretchen's tail. I took her into the vet, who said it was the same thing and said some dogs are prone to cysts as they get older (Gretchen is 10). It's a skin thing, like some people get acne. The vet popped the cyst and to save your appetites, I won't tell you the rest. She gave me an ointment to apply but said if the cyst returned, Gretchen should probably have it removed. Again, she gave me the option for a biopsy. She felt around and found another tiny cyst on Gretchen's leg. Well, the cyst above her tail is now growing back.

So my question is, does anyone here have experience with these things? I hate to keep putting Gretchen under for surgery if it's not really necessary. Unlike the last cyst, this one is not in a spot where Gretchen reach to can lick or chew it. It's just kind of...there. She doesn't seem bothered by it. Gretchen's appetite/weight are good.

My SkeeterDog had a cyst on the back of his neck. The vet drained it several times, because it was right where his collar rubs, but since it

was "just" a cyst, we didn't put him under anesthesia to remove it until he got a dental last spring. It was removed at that time, and has

never returned.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Several of mine have them. I have them aspirated when we go to the vet and when they show that they are just cysts, I leave them alone unless they start growing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Most of my older dogs have several. The poodles have way more, and some of them are humongous. Sometimes they can be popped, sometimes they explode on their own, but most of the time they're just there. I don't worry about them unless the dog does.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)