Odd Gait This Morning

Guest MzBanks

Guest MzBanks

Hi Everyone,

After my last question here, re: inappropriate peeing when playing (on his bed) and reading everyone else's experiences, I chalked that up to just excited peeing. He's done it only once since, while playing in his 'sandbox'-got running around in full crazy dog and then he peed in the hole he was digging to lay in, then thought 'eww, now I don't want to now, can I come in?'... Goober.

This morning, he (7 yo. retired racer in excellent health) got up to come outside for morning walkies, and didn't seem to be able to feel his right hind, put it down and then sort of waved it a bit, put it down, walked very oddly on it but walked nonetheless. We walked to the road, he stood on his right hind to lift the other one and pee, twice - no problem. Gait was still a bit NQR but no pain, not bothered by it. Still a bit off while I was making his breakfast, but came zooming out and sat for it as normal. When he was done I gave him a once over, nothing on his pads or feet, no pain or reaction at all when I squeezed both hind toes. It was still a bit 'off' when I left him to go for work but he got around just fine.

I have never seen a dog sleep and get up with his leg asleep like sometimes happens to humans, could it be this? I also applied K9 Advantix II yesterday, on shoulders and at the base of his tail where he can't reach it, and now of course I'm paranoid because I hate that stuff, but I also hate trips to the EVet for Lyme and Anaplasmosis crises and the ticks have been disgusting this year. Any thoughts about what it could be? I'm not panicking (well, I guess I am or I wouldn't be here....), I can always call my vet tomorrow if it gets worse, just wondering what y'all think. Thanks!

Personally I'd watch him for a few days and see if it improves. These guys can tweak muscles zooming around the yard and then be off for a few days. One of mine ran to hard the other day and was sore for a couple of days. It could be a cramp or his leg could have fallen asleep if he were laying on it for a while. I'm not one to panic though. You know him better than any one and if taking him in gives you peace of mind, then it well worth it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm with Judy. Don't panic, but remain vigilant.

He COULD have the beginning stages of L.S.S., or he could have pulled something, or it's not out of the question, I don't suppose, that it's a reaction to the Advantix.

I had a dog once who was projectile vomiting within 30 minutes of me putting a flea collar on him! Some dogs are very sensitive.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest MzBanks

I'm fairly sure he hasn't pulled or strained anything, because he hasn't DONE anything. It's been so hot and so buggy that it's hard for a black boy to be outside, so by the time he's done with the potty walk, he can't get back in the house fast enough. I might try tonight just putting him outside in his yard for a few minutes to see what he does. LSS was my big worry, but there's not much I can do about it if that's what it is. Watch and hope...

Seems highly suspicious to me that you just applied the Advantix II yesterday. Do you have a data sheet to check the side effects? There seem to be a few stories online about dogs having neurological problems when using this. If he were my dog, I'd wash it off asap.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

May have been simply trying to scratch his shoulders where the topical is.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MzBanks

I'm suspicious of the Advantix since I heard that my friend applies it to her cat and the cat completely gorks out and becomes lethargic for a day or so, and my response was "And you still use that? Unacceptable response, IMO, I wouldn't use it again". If there are effects like that in cats, it could be the same in dogs I've never had a reaction, he's been dosed with it during high tick seasons for almost 2 years now (not every month), and no reactions. He didn't seem like he was scratching, more like he couldn't feel his foot and putting it down felt weird. This does not give me a good feeling:

http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/need-help-advantix-drops-reaction-12872/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111027152447AAl6tpK

Guest MzBanks

Well, in a panic, I left work early, picked up a big bottle of Dawn and hoped what I found at home would not be worse. It's a good thing I went home early. His leg seemed fine, although I am not convinced it's not a bit wonky, but the idiot neighbor had decided that it was a good time to set off firecrackers in his backyard, which is 15 feet from MY back yard. Sounds like a gunshot in your ear, so close and so loud. My poor dog, who has never reacted to anything, was frantic, pacing, panting, staring at the door waiting for the next explosion. I took him out for a walk, and right as we got to the back door they set off two more, like gunshots, my ears were ringing and he tried to bolt. I threw him in the house and he didn't settle for an hour, and he only settled because I went over and put a stop to it and threatened to call the police if it started again. I was yelled at by the grandmother "well, they've got to have SOME fun! They're only little tiny firecrackers!" Pity my poor dog who can't REASON that.......eejuts.

So I'm still watching the hind leg, he showed no sign of anything painful or uneven but of course now that I look at him I think every step looks odd....

Edited by MzBanks