Trance-Like When In Pain?

Curious to know, if a hound is in pain, is it normal for a grey to go a little trance like?

Ryder tweaked his shoulder a little last night, and for a few minutes I wasn't sure if he wanted to vomit or didn't know what to do with himself. I comforted him and saw some life come back into his eyes after a couple minutes, but he was pretty much staring blankly.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Staring blankly is pain :( When Bella had her neck injury she started crying when laying down, but looking back on it I remember a couple of days before she would just lay there and stare at me, instead of sleeping.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

This can certainly be linked to pain. Sid does it sometimes. He'll lie down in the sphynx position with his head low, and just zone out. Occasionally he'll add some carpet licking into the equation.

He hasn't done it in a while, not since he's been on Tramadol + Onsior, and I bought him an electric massager. He gets a massage before we go walking and he's much freer. If he seizes up while we're out we do leg stretches, and he gets another massage when we get in.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Seizure?

I thought about this actually, he was responsive but not all there. I'm not quite sure how else to describe it. It's like he came to with the sound of my voice, attention and petting. Lasted maybe about 3-5 minutes....

For back story, he's been seeing a chiropractor monthly to aid in his on and off limping issue, which has been steadily getting better, and he's on joint supplements to assist with stiffness, etc. He was quite excited yesterday and I think he just overdid it as he tends to do sometimes, but his reaction last night was a first. He jumped off the bed when I left the room and when I got back, he seemed fine, but I didn't see how he landed. He's not off his food, but you can tell his shoulder hurts - I can tell it's stiff because the range of motion isn't there when I try to stretch it, and do mobility maneuvers.

I bought him an electric massager.

This is an idea. I've been looking for a canine RMT, but no luck. I've always thought massage would help. Linky?

Proudly owned by:

I thought about this actually, he was responsive but not all there. I'm not quite sure how else to describe it. It's like he came to with the sound of my voice, attention and petting. Lasted maybe about 3-5 minutes....

For back story, he's been seeing a chiropractor monthly to aid in his on and off limping issue, which has been steadily getting better, and he's on joint supplements to assist with stiffness, etc. He was quite excited yesterday and I think he just overdid it as he tends to do sometimes, but his reaction last night was a first. He jumped off the bed when I left the room and when I got back, he seemed fine, but I didn't see how he landed. He's not off his food, but you can tell his shoulder hurts - I can tell it's stiff because the range of motion isn't there when I try to stretch it, and do mobility maneuvers.

Partial seizure was the first thing I thought of... Henry gets those. His eyes go unfocused, and he just stares out into outer space for a few minutes. After awhile, he "snaps out of it." He's epileptic, but I have heard that dogs can have seizures as a pain response. People can too. I would probably just re-visit his meds and whatever alternative therapies you're doing to best manage his pain. The massager does sound like a very good idea.

Edited by a_daerr

This is an idea. I've been looking for a canine RMT, but no luck. I've always thought massage would help. Linky?

Sid is actually going to a masseuse tomorrow. I take him when she's in the area, and he does love it.

The massager we have is actually sold for human use, but was recommended by my vet. He brought it to the surgery when he knew we were coming in, and gave him a massage with it and the difference when he got down from the table was quite surprising. He showed me how to use it, and let me try it on my back - it's wonderfully relaxing! It's called an AcuMag, but I don't know if they're sold in the US. I'm sure you could find something similar though.

We also have a canine version which we have on loan from a greyhound trainer. It has a brush attachment which is nice, but we'll have to give it back one day!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Partial seizure was the first thing I thought of... Henry gets those. His eyes go unfocused, and he just stares out into outer space for a few minutes. After awhile, he "snaps out of it." He's epileptic, but I have heard that dogs can have seizures as a pain response. People can too. I would probably just re-visit his meds and whatever alternative therapies you're doing to best manage his pain. The massager does sound like a very good idea.

Huh, how bout that. Very interesting....thanks....

Proudly owned by:

Guest HeatherLee

That kind of happened to gambler after he got a severe 5 inch gash on his back after a fight with my roommates dog. He yelped when it happened and I herded the other dog outside but when I turned around, gambler was just standing there not moving just looking at me. It was bizarre but ultimately helpful as I was able to bandage him easier.