Not Eating

How long can a dog go without eating with out serious health problems? I know with cats, you shouldn't let them go more than 48 hrs without eating something, otherwise there are serious liver and/or kidney issues.

Fletcher hasn't stopped eating completely, but today might be the day. If not today, soon, he's eating less each day. I am fairly sure it is a tooth problem, I am trying to get him in for a dental as soon as possible, so I hope this is only temporary, but I am worried if he stops eating all together before then.

I don't know the answer to that question. But if it's dental and you can't get one soon, your vet could perhaps give an antibiotic to tide him over briefly. We've done that once or twice and had it work well. ETA: The anti-b should relieve the situation enough to let him eat.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I don't know the answer to that question. But if it's dental and you can't get one soon, your vet could perhaps give an antibiotic to tide him over briefly. We've done that once or twice and had it work well. ETA: The anti-b should relieve the situation enough to let him eat.

Thanks, I will ask the vet about that. I do remember there have been dogs on GT that couldn't be put under for dentals because of other health issues, and they took antibiotics

Short term, try yogurt (I get the fruit-flavored stuff with sugar in it), Ensure nutrition shake (I get the vanilla), and/or oatmeal, all of which should be tolerable for a dog with dental pain.

Also, grind kibble in the food processor and add it to any/all of the above and let Fletcher lap up the food. The kibble will help him get the nutrition he needs.

If you get antibiotics, he might not be able to take them with dairy. (I went through that recently with Sam.) I gave Sam kibble and yogurt for most meals, but kibble and rice or kibble and eggs or kibble and oatmeal for dinners (with antibiotics). Cook the oatmeal early enough that it has time to cool sufficiently.

When peanut butter gets warm, it gets thin. You can take a spoonful of peanut butter and mix it with the oatmeal while the oatmeal is still hot. Then let it cool (or make the oatmeal extra thick, then add cool water to thin it and cool it at the same time). My guys also adored oatmeal with a 6oz carton of blueberry oatmeal mixed into it. Purple oatmeal! Ummm!

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Dogs don't usually get sick from not eating the way cats do. But I'd be more concerned about whatever underlying problem is making him not want to eat. I would definitely recommend discussing his progressively worsening appetite with your vet, and I think the suggestion of antibiotics is a good idea. I rarely see dogs stop eating just due to bad teeth or gum disease, unless there's an active infection or abscess. There's also the chance that it's not due to his teeth. Unfortunately normal bloodwork doesn't rule out all medical problems.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I've talked to his vet, and am picking up antibiotics (Clavamox) on Monday. His teeth are pretty manky, and everything seems to point to sore tooth/teeth. I really hope that fixes it, but, of course, if it doesn't we will have to look at other possibilities :(

I will try the oatmeal tomorrow. He has already rejected Ensure and yogurt :)

If he's rejecting soft stuff like Ensure and yogurt, it may be more than just his teeth--especially if he's ever had yogurt in the past and eaten it well.

When you get to the Clavamox, though, I think he can't have the dairy with the med anyway.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Being soft isn't enough to attract a sort sore mouth, a food also has to not be too cold.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I mixed a can of tripe with warm water to make it a thick liquid he could lap up, and he ate the whole can! It is amazing how much better that made me feel :) I will buy more canned tripe tomorrow, and later tonight, I will make a sardine/warm water/oatmeal slurry in the blender. Stinky, warm, and easy to lap up, I hope that is the magic formula!

Poor Fletcher. Quinoa is a high protein, complete amino acid grain. The grains are tiny and would be easy to lap up, and you could serve it plain or with broth or add it to any of the other slurries that you make. You have to rinse the quinoa before cooking it to wash off the dust that can be bitter, then cook it like rice. Any health food store will have it and many supermarkets also carry it now.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.