Wheatgrass Powder

Does anyone feed this to their hounds as a supplement? I drink it in orange juice daily, and I'm thinking of trying some with Sweep in hopes it will discourage her grass eating. She never throws up, but after a couple of unpleasant incidents with long blades of grass resurfacing at the back end, I am looking for a solution. I could use a muzzle with a stool guard, but I am wondering if she's actually craving greens? (Is that a crazy theory? :lol: ) She will not touch frozen green beans, and since I already have the wheatgrass powder on hand, I thought it might be worth a shot. Here's the specific product: http://amzn.com/B0038B3AGO. The company website says it's safe for pets.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest chickenpotpie

I have to admit I've always wondered about the grass eating. My girl gets green veggies but still does it, so go figure. I really don't know if wheatgrass will take care of the issue though. Its unsightly coming out the back end, but I much prefer grass than a tape worm....

I'm pretty sure they eat grass for the roughage factor, not for the nutrition in it (dogs cannot break it down or digest it at all, hence why it comes out whole the other end). I have no idea why but I have heard several theories anywhere from enzymes to internal parasite control. Either way, I also have a grass eater, and have added pulverized greens, kelp, etc. which have done nothing. He just loves munching grass!

Guest grey_dreams

I used to give wheatgrass powder, but switched to an organic green superfood powder (contains about 40 different kinds of sprouts, vegetables, and herbs). Either one is really good for them. I just mix a bit in with their food (they are raw fed and I always add some water to their food). It won't stop them eating grass, but it's really good for keeping their metabolism alkaline. Go ahead and give it :)

At our local Whole Foods store I purchase organic wheat grass for $2.89. I clip some off for the dogs' or Samlur would pull it out of the container and eat the whole thing. Yes, he has done this before. I keep it next to the cat dishes and my cats munch at will.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

This all sounds good to me. I'm for anything that helps detoxify the body.

The benefits of wheatgrass for pets are the same for humans. It will help to detoxify and purify their blood, remove body odors, give them energy, and provide essential nutrients to their body.

Here are some of the wheatgrass benefits for pets

• Nutritionally complete food
  • Studies by scientists have shown it to never be toxic in animals or humans
  • Gives energy & stamina
  • Reverses illness
  • Protection of toxins- including aging and combats free radicals
  • Rejuvenates blood
  • Helps shed pounds by detoxifying the body
  • DNA repair
  • Blood cleansing and building abilities of chlorophyll
  • Builds blood and stimulates circulation
  • Stimulates and regenerates the liver
  • Deodorizes body

Wheatgrass is absolutely safe for pets. All pets. This includes dogs, cats, hamsters, etc. In fact, because it has so many nutrients and a high concentration of chlorophyll it will do nothing but good for them. Cats and dogs can digest the wheatgrass fiber well, unlike humans, which bodies do better with wheatgrass juice.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks, all, for the replies!

At our local Whole Foods store I purchase organic wheat grass for $2.89. I clip some off for the dogs' or Samlur would pull it out of the container and eat the whole thing. Yes, he has done this before. I keep it next to the cat dishes and my cats munch at will.

I keep a couple of pots of wheatgrass out for my cats too, and oddly enough, Sweep has never expressed much interest in those (except as a toy—like your dog, she has occasionally pulled a plant out whole; she tosses it like a stuffie but doesn't eat it!). Apparently she has very specific ideas about which grass/greens will do. That said, this:

it's really good for keeping their metabolism alkaline. Go ahead and give it :)

and this:

it has so many nutrients and a high concentration of chlorophyll it will do nothing but good for them. Cats and dogs can digest the wheatgrass fiber well, unlike humans, which bodies do better with wheatgrass juice.

are good enough reasons for me to try the powder with her—regardless of whether it resolves the outdoor grazing and its unfortunate "second tail" side effect. :)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Samlur will eat the whole plant, though and no one else would have any. :nod

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb