Can Martingale Collars Hurt The Neck/trachea

Guest mld

On saturday, I had to take my boy on leash to go potty because my husband was fixing the gate to the fenced yard. Well, he is a bit on the timid side, a gust of wind came and blew the blue tarp a little bit. This was enough to set him off, he got scared and ended up going under a fence board that was leaning against the house, it fell on him which made the situation even worse. His Martingale collar got twisted in the struggle and he now tends to cough/choking whenever he eats or takes a drink. Should I take him in to the vet to get this checked out or am I just being a worried mom?

Thanks in advance

Vet check. Probably just bruised but get it checked out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This is embarrassing, but I once tried to wind the window up in my car while Truman had his head hanging out. Even though there was no outward bruising, he was doing the same thing as your guy- coughing and such. I just softened his kibble with warm water, but otherwise, he was back to normal in a few days.

Edited by a_daerr

Sadly, I too rolled up the car window on my girl. She did a little of the cough & gag for a few days. Palpation induced it also but no other problem found. Nothing broken. Took a week or so for full recovery.

So glad to hear that your dogs were ok after a few days! I'm sure a worry wart, things are running through my mind, I hope he is all right :( I keep thinking that the three days in a row of meet and greets stressed him out too much.

Check up went great! Just a bit swollen and bruised, he should be back to normal within a week or so. For now we are using a harness to make walks more comfortable :)

So glad all is OK and it's just bruising and swelling.

Just a FYI ... I've seen martingales recently which have the metal slider right at the front over the larynx area, which seems likely to make this kind of accident oh-so-much worse. IMHO, these should be avoided for safety reasons.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

So glad all is well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.