New To Greytalk And Questions About Adopting A Greyhound

Guest Friend2greys

Guest Friend2greys

Hello everyone! I am new to greytalk and would like to find out more information from those of you who have a small dog with greyhound(s). I am considering adopting a greyhound. I have a 4 year old (almost 5) year old and a teenager. That's not the problem...the problem is, I have a 13 lb dog with an attitude. He has met some greyhounds at meet and greet and seems to be fearful at times but downright dominant at other times scaring the greyhounds and making them take a step back. I have made contact with an adoption agency that fosters greys with small dogs, cats, kids, etc. to find out if they are friendly to small animals and kids. However, I would like to ask more specific questions about day to day with a small dog and greyhound. For instance, is it safe for them to run together in the backyard with muzzle on greyhound or maybe not muzzled? Has your greyhound ever had enough of the yappy little dog and snap at it? If I didn't have a small dog there would be no issues as all. I would have already adopted 1 or 2 already:) Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Eyeblaura

I have one greyhound and 2 young kids (6 and 2 1/2). Enzo is very tolerant of my kids and most everything. He is a pretty bomb proof dog and likes most other dogs and could care less about cats. That being said we have had 2 run ins with off leash chihuahuas in my neighborhood. They are obnoxious and have no dog manners so to speak of. They bark and nip and charge at him. His first response is too turn and run. In both instances I have done my best to run interference but he will only take so much and he will bark and snap back at them. He picked one up once and then dropped it. I have never seen him react this way to any other dog but these dogs are truly obnoxious little yappers.

I don't think it is fair to muzzle a greyhound while running with any other dog (regardless of size) as they would have no way to protect themselves.

I think if your dog is a loud, in your face, kind of dog you may be setting yourself up for some issues and possibly a deadly situation.

Edited by Eyeblaura

Guest Friend2greys

He enjoys playing with dogs but I think the initial meeting he is intimidated by the sheer size of the greyhounds. He has been at a facility when I've been out of town where dogs can play together. He plays well with others his own size and a little larger. I fostered a 25 lb. mix for a rescue group recently and they played in the back yard all the time. I also think that I may be part of the problem because I'm afraid he is going to snap at the dog. He does much better when he is off leash with other dogs. He did meet one greyhound that he did fine with but I think it was because she backed away from him and was a little scared of him.

Guest Friend2greys

Thank you Eyeblaura for your advice. I am taking this very, very seriously. I have been reading books, going to meet and greets and getting info. about greyhounds from greytalk and internet searches.

In general, there are greyhounds who live and play and do quite well with small dogs and kids. Be very up front with you adoption group about your home and living situation, and the personality of your other dog. That way they will be able to find a good match for you.

Before you adopt, really think about what level of interaction and playing you will be comfortable with. Then, set a basic set of rules and enforce them fairly and consistently. In my opinion, in most interactions with small terrier type dogs, it's usually the smaller dog that ends up causing the trouble. Terriers are much more "in your face" with their behavior and many greys - even small dog tolerant ones - do not appreciate this at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't adopt, but be prepared to make sure your smaller dog is behaving appropriately.

If you're worried about him snapping then you can purchase a basket muzzle, similar to what greys wear, but in the right size for your terrier. There's at least one GTer who used one with her JRT and greyhound pack with no problems. No, he is NOT going to like it at first.

As far as your children, the same holds true. Set rules and enforce them fairly and consistently. If your into books, get "Child-Proofing Your Dog" by Brian Kilcommons. Lots of good advice. I will add that many greyhounds have space issues and a really good rule to have is to not approach or pet the dog when he is laying on his bed and/or asleep. Have your kids learn to call the dog from a safe distance and make sure the dog is awake before giving the dog attention. Also, see a thread in this section about Play vs Aggression, as there is some pertinent info for your situation.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Friend2greys

Thank you for your response. The advice about the muzzle for current dog is a good idea. That would put me at ease as well knowing he can't do anything to hurt the greyhound. I have also consulted with a dog trainer and if this works out I am planning to have her help me with introducing the two dogs. I just ordered greyhound for dummies and will look into the book you suggested.

Many people have Greys with small dogs, but small dog's personality/behavior should be compatible with a greyhound's mellow lifestyle for a non-stressful home life. On-going high stress environment can shorten an animal's life. I would strongly encourage positive method obedience training the smaller dog before adopting a second dog.

To answer your question re: running and playing outside together: I'm not a fan of large Greyhounds playing with small dogs outside. I agree that all dogs need to be muzzled when playing, not just one dog muzzled - leaving it defenseless from being attacked by another dog. Even a muzzled Greyhound can harm a small dog by tripping over it, or if excitement unexpectedly elevates to prey drive outside in yard they can harm a small dog with the strength of their legs. Good to remember how fast Greyhounds run, and it only takes a few strides to get to full speed (if they feel like it).

I think the bigger issue here is whether your little dog will be able to adjust and at least tolerate a greyhound. Or whether you have the patience to do the initial training and management of your current dog to make it work. As long as the adoption group matches you with a greyhound who is friendly with small dogs, the greyhound's personality won't be the problem. But if your little guy doesn't adjust well and continues to provoke the new dog, that will lead to problems, regardless of the breed of the larger dog.

Regarding running together outside, there's always risk of injury, especially if there's a large size difference between the dogs. Part of it also depends on the sturdiness of the little dog. A 15-lb Jack Russell is probably going to be less likely to be injured if accidentally stepped on or rolled compared to a 15-lb Italian greyhound. My smaller dogs are all in the 25-30-lb range, and they run and play with my greyhounds without any problems. I don't always muzzle for quick potty trips outside, but I do muzzle all of them (well, not the 13-year-old I just adopted a few months ago) if they are let out to run in the larger yard. I do think introducing your little dog to a muzzle would be a good idea, and I'd definitely muzzle both dogs at least for the first few weeks or month until they get to know each other better.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Also please be honest with yourself; as the mother of a youngster and a teenager, how much time do you really have to deal with another dog? I don't have kids, but from what I understand, it's pretty much go go go all the time these days with kids, school, activities, etc.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Friend2greys

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been in contact with a dog trainer and I have decided to work on some issues with little dog before I proceed with adopting a greyhound. In the interim, I will continue to read, ask questions and prepare in case things do work out. Time is really not an issue. We are home bodies. My son focuses on academics and is not athletic at all so we have no extra activities outside school. I work part time and when I say part time, I mean 6-10 hours a week. Our dog travels with us unless we are traveling overseas which is usually 1 time a year for 1-2 weeks to visit husband's family. We also enjoy camping and again our dog goes with us. I have read about how people camp with their greyhounds as well. I am being very proactive and trying to think about all the pros and cons of adopting another dog. I really do appreciate all your comments and I know this sort of dialogue will help me to make the best decison for my family. By the way, the reason I am wanting to adopt a greyhound is years ago, my neighbor had one. He was the sweetest dog and she continues even after 15 years to adopt greyhounds. I have never (until now) felt I had the resources, time or space for a greyhound. I have always lived in a tiny house. I know that people have them in apartments. However, I personally would not want to have a large dog in such a small space as I had at the time.

My Annie would pack her bags and move out if she had to live with a yappy, in-your-face dog, no matter the size. :hehe Just adding some levity.

While some Greyhounds may be high prey, just as many are not. My girl is not at all and turns her back and walks away from another dog that is barking, yapping or making too much noise. She's much like her mom is with people. :flip

You've gotten good advice and will get more before the day's out. Also, you are taking this seriously and have done your homework. I too wanted a Greyhound for years (since the mid-'90s) but the time wasn't right until 2 years ago. They're worth waiting for. Good luck!

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Friend2greys

Yes, I understand. I would not want to live with a yappy dog either. He is really a quiet dog in the house. He only barks when the door bell rings or he sees a dog walking to close to his house. No matter what breed dog I get, I know that he will need a dog that is pretty submissive. That is why I would never consider a bully breed or any other typically dominant breed dog.The foster girl we had here a month or so ago was very submissive and did not have any issues with him being the dominant dog. Therefore, things around here were pretty peaceful. The only time there was not peace was when she got too excited for his taste and he would try and "reel" her back in by barking at her. He has some control issues, I think:). I have spoken with an animal behavorist about some classes for him that would involve him being around large breeds. I really think he is intimidated by large dogs. So no matter what it will take time for him to get used to having such a big dog around. In the past whenever he meets a dog he will try and show his dominance pretty early on. Once he realizes she will be submissive, he puts butt in air and barks like okay let's play now. One more thing that has really made me think is when someone mentioned that small dogs are allowed to get away with things that we would not tolerate with big dogs. That is why I am seeking professional advice about some issues with him, like acting a fool when people ring the door bell and how he acts when meeting dogs.

Guest Krizzy

I think it really depends on the greyhound you get. My grey gets along with all dogs (big and small) He does play with my sisters Australian shepherd puppy and she is always jumping at his face (licking him- not biting) He tolerates her really well, growls a little but never snapped. One thing we did learn is that any child or dog that comes close up to him while he is sleeping or lying down, he growls and snaps. Not bites, but just enough to say, "leave me alone." We think it may be because he was a broken leg and he is nervous that someone is going to hurt it again.

Guest Iceman41

I have a jack russel chiwowwow

I sorry I can't spell and the drunk text ain't working.

I had to take him to the kennal to meet the girl I was getting.

He is very voicestrous and barks at every body charges out my door after anybody

They got along fine I was Concerned but I brought him and he sniffed herand it was all over

But that was my case.

From what I have seen at the meet greets we do these dogs get along with all dogs,most of the time at petco they'd ignore other breed other than there selfs

Good luck

(null)

Please pay close attention to all the precautions that have been suggested.

With the right Greyhound things can work out very well. I have a Greyhound that does not tolerate anything but good manners from other dogs. However, he is good buddies with a completely psychotic Chihuahua. This little monster will attack anything or anyone. I have seen it lunge at a passing motorcycle! Because they see each other regularely they have established a fine and respectful relationship. They even run together.

Here is a link to a short clip of my Grey running with the little demon:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wv9XpfIihS4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Friend2greys

Well hearing from folks with little dogs has given me some hope. I have talked extensively with the adoption group that I am going through to give them specific information about our family so they can attempt to find a good match for us. I told them I am in no hurry because I would like to find one that would work well with small dogs, kids. I will start working with our little dog on some manners in the meantime. I ordered childproofing your dog today. Dummies book should be here anyday.

Thanks for sharing the video of your little demon running with your greyhound. Very cute.

Thanks for sharing the video of your little demon running with your greyhound. Very cute.

It's not my little demon. He lives with Hester's girlfriend so he is a regular visitor. Though he does have his sweet moments once he gets to know you:

0042pt.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Friend2greys

Yes, he does look sweet. That's kind of the way my dog is. He comes on strong at first but once he gets to know you, he's a love bug.

I'm late to the party, but we have 5 westies that range in size from 14 pounds to 25 pounds. All 3 greys we have had have gotten along with them. And westies are pretty much in-your-face dogs. We have a large fenced in yard and they all go out together unmuzzled. Of course I didn't start off day 1 with them all unmuzzled and with a doggie door freedom, but after about 9 months to a year of taking them out together and watching them interact, they now go out together whenever they want. If I am out in the yard with flip flops on, I watch them closely for the first 5 or 10 minutes as they seem hyper-excited when I put the flip flops on.

I've always been up-front with the groups, telling them I have westies and that they are every bit a Westie. And yes, sometimes they go rolling end over end, but they are tuff little dogs. My first greyhound (who was a spook) was best buds with my littlest Westie, and she's the one with the most attitude. But I've had fantastic greyhounds, no food aggression, no sleep agression, no space agression and I'm sure that helped a great deal.

I would definitely suggest taking your little one to meet any greyhound and I think it would be good if you could get a greyhound that was fostered with a small dog. In 10 years, I've never had a problem with interactions between LWF and greys.

As to kids, I don't know anything - don't have any 2 legged kind, just the 4 legged. :ghplaybow

The boss of our pack is Peanut, a Rat Terrier (all 13 lbs). She has been and always will be boss and none of our 4 Greys have had a problem with that. We do make sure to keep things in control but she will tell any big dog when to lay off and they have all respected that. I believe it all has to do with the Grey you adopt and your place in the pack. You need to be pack lead and let all your pups, big and small who truly is the leader and when to step in if anything is getting close to nasty. Our Rat Terrier plays with our Greys a bit, likes to try and jump on their sides but we discourage it in case it leads to something too quickly. Otherwise they get along get great and she loves the big boys, loves car rides with them, walks with them, etc. They seem to bring her even more confidence than she already has....as if she needs it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Friend2greys

This is all very encouraging. Love hearing your stories of greys with little dogs. We are waiting to hear from an adoption agency about a dog they are going to check out with small dogs. If all goes well we are planning to go meet her next weekend.