Weight Loss From Moving

Has anybody else ever experienced their hound losing weight after moving house?

Divorce forced my living situation to change, Dewey moved with me into a new house with a few coworkers and their dog. (Whom he gets along with perfectly) He has lost weight - not dangerously so, but I'm seeing more ribs than I'd like. He is still active and happy/hyper with a full appetite. He also has to be crated when alone in the house now which he hates... It's a big change for him. He used to have the full run of our old house. He is alone for about 5 hours while I'm at work on certain days and he's not used to it and messes in his crate too. I can take him to work with me some days but it's not always possible.

Is it usual for a hound to have weight loss from a schedule change/move, even though he's eating the same amount and same food? I have been treating him with more calorie-dense things to try and bring his weight back up but thus far nothing has helped.

My first thought is, since there are now other people and another dog in the house with him (I'm guessing that Spunki isn't the most active doggy any more?)... perhaps he's simply getting more exercise and burning more calories? And if he hates being crated, may I ask why you are suddenly now crating him? Maybe stress is also burning calories?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My first thought is, since there are now other people and another dog in the house with him (I'm guessing that Spunki isn't the most active doggy any more?)... perhaps he's simply getting more exercise and burning more calories? And if he hates being crated, may I ask why you are suddenly now crating him? Maybe stress is also burning calories?

Spunki still lives with my ex husband so he's not in the picture now.. But the more exercise thing is also a possibility because when Dewey lived with my ex husband he would sleep all day til I got home (ex husband works night shifts) and my room mate is a dog trainer so he's always alert for her (and treats) so I guess his sleep schedule also changed.

I have to crate him while at work because he just can't have full reign of this house.. it was a rule that was put in place before we moved here. He does trash/counter surf and get on furniture/beds that aren't mine. If I had it my way, it wouldn't be the case. :(

He does seem to be stressed... he is whining a lot. I wish I could explain to him what happened. I think he is wondering when we are going back. All the hugs in the world can't explain to him that we're staying here now :(

Guest Doggone

I don't have any advice for you, just encouragement that your situation will get easier. I imagine that it's an adjustment for you, too, not just for Dewey, and I'm sending good wishes to both of you.

:)

Many good thoughts for you both.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so sorry, sounds like a stressful time for you both.

What does Dewey especially love doing? For Fenway it's long walks, riding in the car, and going to the dog park. After Grace passed away, I did a lot more of the stuff he loves for about a month until we found our new normal. I'd suggest a bit more of the things Dewey loves, especially walks.

Also, when I returned home from the e-vet without Grace I sat on the floor with Fenway and told him what happened. I told him Grace wasn't coming back, that he'd see her again someday, and that it was okay to be sad for a while. He seemed to adjust to her passing very well. I had that conversation for me, because it made me feel better. Maybe think about doing the same for your situation. Can't hurt, might help.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I agree with the previous responses. Stress and changes in activity level can definitely affect their caloric needs and metabolism. Instead of, or in addition to, feeding more calorie-dense snacks, I'd also suggest increasing his regular meals a little. Even without without life-changing stress, I find that my dogs' caloric needs fluctuate some, depending on their activity level, the season, etc. I make minor adjustments to their feeding amounts on a regular basis, based on how their weights look.

It make take a little time for him to adjust and for his metabolism to return to normal. Just monitor his weight, and when you see him put the weight back on, then cut back down on the food again. If he continues to lose, or doesn't gain any weight with increased feedings after a month or two, then I'd suggest a vet visit.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'd also suggest trying a DAP collar or diffuser for him.

When we moved to a new house, I had diffusers set up for my boys in case the move was stressful for them.

The collar would be most effective, but if you can't do the collar, placing the diffuser in the room where he's crated might help.

Is his crate in a main area? Does your roommate leave him crated even when he's home? All of those things could be contributing to the stress he's feeling.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Make sure his new housemate isn't helping empty Dewey's bowl. (I have an ailing older dog and a younger dog who's getting suspiciously fat.)

Would your boy do better in an ex-pen? Buy a vinyl tarp (sporting goods stores, not expensive) and put it on the floor, then the ex-pen on top of that. He can have a bowl and his bed. You don't want to try this if you think he'll try to climb out of it, but it would give him more room than just the crate.

Whether he's in a crate or the ex-pen, make sure he can see when you leave the apartment and when you come back. He'll be more stressed if he thinks he's crated while you're still home. (I had one nervous dog bump her ex-pen around a corner and into the foyer so she could see the front door. I could barely get the door open when I got home.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest poofmagk

I noticed our two looking skinnier after we moved. Since it was not an alarming rate of weight loss, I too attributed it to stress and am focusing upon establishing consistency and new routines. It has been a couple months now and so far they seem to be adapting well.