Ondansetron (Generic Zofran)

Can anyone tell me if this is something that can be used long-term?

My old man SkeeterBug (16 in May) has been battling what the vet thinks is pancreatitis (I'm not so sure about now)

and also, as it turns out, an esophageal stricture. We're learning how to manage the stricture.....but the nausea from

pancreatitis (or whatever) still seems to be an issue. He's just finished an 8 day course of the Ondansetron (last dose

yesterday) and now this evening is showing signs that the nausea is returning.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that can be used long-term?

My old man SkeeterBug (16 in May) has been battling what the vet thinks is pancreatitis (I'm not so sure about now)

and also, as it turns out, an esophageal stricture. We're learning how to manage the stricture.....but the nausea from

pancreatitis (or whatever) still seems to be an issue. He's just finished an 8 day course of the Ondansetron (last dose

yesterday) and now this evening is showing signs that the nausea is returning.

Sorry.....have no idea how this got double posted....

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Tbhounds once posted that her dog had been on Prilosec for nine months.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

AFAIK you can use it long-term. You can certainly use it for longer than 8 days. You may have to be a little careful with dosing amounts of some other drugs (such as tramadol) and with some antibiotics, but your vet should be able to advise.

Gentle scritchies to your Skeeter.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yup-Prilosec can be used long term-in fact Dr Couto just started my girl Shannon on it (she's on a metronomic chemo protocol)--I'll be giving it open ended.

The only time we have used ondansetron in our clinic is as a pre chemo (given IV) but, I have personally used it (sublingually) in one of my IBD dogs. I gave it to him for a couple of weeks w/o incident.

Edited to add-just looked it up in Plumb and there's nothing there to indicate that it can't be used long term.

Edited by tbhounds

I have a prescription for Zofran, for myself, with no restrictions for how often I can take it. I only use it for migraines with nausea -- so not often, but I've never been cautioned on frequency as with other migraine drugs (Imitrex, etc.) I know that dogs and people aren't the same,so this is pretty useless. It makes me tired, but not as bad as other anti-emetics that I've tried.