Newbie Owner And A Hard Lesson Learned

Guest jimmy_dee

Wow I'm surprised to read this. Being a first time owner my dog Otto shows very little signs of any dog aggression. The only times he gets moody is when a puppy will continue to bother him after he repeatedly tries to get away from it. And even then it's usually just a quick snarl and snap. I take him to dog parks all of the time and tends to avoid most other dogs. When he does play with other dogs he's always friendly. Granted I think he has an unusual demeanor compared to other greyhounds. Very low prey drive in general, never gets excited seeing other dogs on a walk and never ever barks at anything.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kkaiser104

I'm glad it wasn't more serious and that the LWF's owner seemed to be really nice in that situation. I'm fortunate that Teddi has never had a problem with another dog--he's just not a reactive guy--but I'm alwas the first to ell if someone approaches me with a LWF off-lead, yapping its head off. If Teddi hurt him, even if it is instinct, they have legal grounds to sue. Teddi's a dog park dog but on leash is a totally different ballgame.

Guest Impossiblealto

Ha, this is the reason I really don't trust anyone with walking my dog. You have to be so alert when you're walking him because he easily fixates on things (not dogs so much, but birds, and other small animals). I suppose he can't help himself in this manner.

As for other dogs, he is not aggressive towards them, but definitely cautious. He really doesn't care much for them - he'll sniff their butt and walk away. If the other dog is being a jerk or trying to hump on his back leg (happened with my mom's dog who is not fixed), them he'll growl at them - if they continue he'll show his teeth and bark at them to back off. So he gets along fine, but as with any dog, he won't take any monkey business.

I wouldn't go to a dog park with him because he is actually more nervous than aggressive. He was in a large playgroup at the animal shelter, but never really played with the other dogs.