White Hound, Skin Cancer?

Hi everyone. I'm considering bringing a galgo out from Spain to Australia. The one I'm especially taken with is white with a pink nose. I currently have a red brindle and a black hound, both of whom have black noses. Leaving aside the obvious complications to the wardrobe resulting from having both a completely black and a completely white dog (what colour should I wear that won't show any dog hair????), I'm little concerned about the possibility of the galgo ending up with skin cancer.

Obviously we stay out of the sun for summer and most of the day, the dogs live indoors, but what are people's experiences with this? I know that pink nosed horses run the risk of skin cancer, and I guess the same is true of dogs? If so, how successful are doggy sunscreens? Hats? Is the nose the main issue or should I be concerned with the whole body?

Obviously this is a big undertaking and I want to make sure I do the right thing by the dog!

I put sunscreen on Summit ( and will on Kili as well) when we are out in direct sunlight for prolonged periods. I also try to provide him with shade (also for avoiding heat stroke obviously). Summit has pannus too so I really keep an eye on his UV exposure. For example, I now cart around a beach sun shade/tent at my ultimate frisbee tournaments so that he has constant shade while we are outside all day multiple days in a row.

You have to be careful to pick a safe sunscreen. I spray all areas where he is thinly haired (belly, bum) and then I cover his eyes and do his nose/muzzle. He and Kili both have areas of their eyes that don't have black eyeliner, and those worry me the most for skin cancer since I can't put sunscreen there.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Nose is critical, but it's a whole-body issue. And watch the belly: sunlight reflects up from the ground, so even if your dog is on her feet and not sun-bathing, she's at risk.

Suggestion: video or photograph her thoroughly in good lighting when you first get her. Then you have a visual reference to check against. You'll need to check her over periodically (those of us with dogs that aren't in the sun still need to check for bumps and spots). And having an early-days record is good if something comes up that you later need to show the vet.

P.S. The photography doesn't have to be an ordeal for either of you. My guys willingly roll into their backs for belly rubs and petting. And roaching.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Good question. Excellent suggestion to take body photos. The good news is skin changes are very easily noticed on dogs with thinner (single layer) fur, and light skin. Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Any pets, including lighter colored pets (dogs and cats) can develop sun related cancers. We usually avoid being outside during hottest part of day (strongest sun rays) with Greyhounds anyway. (One of ours developed cancer, known to be caused by excessive direct sun. Our hound's case is assumed to have been caused by excessive years of sun exposure before arriving into late retirement. Small discoloration/growth was noticed quickly with rapid removal.)

Currently (to my knowledge) Epi-Pet Sun Protector is the only "FDA approved" sunscreen for dogs.
Per a conversation with the Epi-Pet manufacturer:
30+ SPF.
Dries quickly, includes coat conditioner (not greasy).
Dispenser distributes from all angles (including upside down for belly/groin).
Water resistant. (Tested effective for 80 minutes in water.)
Reapply approximately every 2 hours.
Per manufacturer: Spray sunscreen directly on dog including belly/groin. Do NOT spray face directly. To treat face/muzzle, spray into human's hand first, then rub sunscreen on muzzle, nose, and ears.
Non-toxic to dog if dog licks dry product. Dries almost instantly.

http://www.epi-pet.com/sunscreen.aspx
(NOT for use on cats.)

Cottage Hound Designs makes a sunsuit, which you may be interested in. There's a couple of pics of it on her Facebook page (you'll have to scroll down to March 2011). Here's one of the pictures, being modeled by a whippet.

SunSuit.jpg

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I'm gradually getting more optimistic and hopeful. There are some truly amazing people in this world and on this forum - two have been especially supportive and helpful. I've just got to get a couple more ducks in a row (not least DH who was hoping for a brindle, but will accept my recommendation in terms of personality and fitting in with our current two princesses, and the cost. Gulp!)