Car Panting/stress Question.

Is it possible for a dog to become very sick or unable to breathe if they pant excessively for too long during a car ride? Cleo (Bella's italian mastiff sister) is a wreck during car rides, she shakes and pants (it's nice and cool in the car). Just wondering if it's physically unhealthy for her to pant so bad? The most I've taken her is about 45min, but this summer we plan to travel for longer periods of time...has anyone's grey ever gotten use to car rides?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

yeah, my carphobic dogs did finally get used to it. short local runs to begin w/. crating if possible- it's much easier to clean up the puke, poop and drool. consisitancy and take them out on an EMPTY stomach. it's a matter of practice and patience. i would talk to your vet about administering a benadryl prior to your venture. also make sure they get fresh air- keep the window adjar.

Thanks for the info, I'm not a fan of giving meds because we do travel quite a bit (dog parks, reg parks), I'd be drugging her every few days...that just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Guest greytkidsmom

We have traveled 6-8 hours with our carphobic dog. He rides in a kennel to keep him and our other dogs safe. He pants the whole way and there is a lake of drool in the kennel when we arrive. When we get to our destination we let him rest in a quiet dark room with lots of water for a few hours before we ask him to do anything else.

Thanks for the info, I'm not a fan of giving meds because we do travel quite a bit (dog parks, reg parks), I'd be drugging her every few days...that just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Poor girl. Has she always been carphobic? Or did this begin when you started taking her more places with Bella? Hopefully she starts making the connection that car rides = going somewhere fun. If not, she may need some intense desensitization training (i.e. treats for getting in the car with the engine off, working up to driving around the block, etc.) Good luck!