Moving House Advice

Guest PaulEmandStan

Guest PaulEmandStan

Hi Guys,

We've had our grey Stan for coming up to 6 months and he's settled in a dream on the whole. We have had to move house which we will be in exactly 1 week from now.

Obviously this is a stressful time for us and will also be stressful for him and we want to make it as easy as possible for him. So far we have:

• Not washed his bedding so it'll be 2 weeks worth of his scent when we put it down in the new house (he is regulary deflead etc)
  • We're going to put an adaptil plug in the new place on friday (to move in on Sunday) I know these ideally are 1 week in advance but we don't have access to the new place until then
  • Got him a Stagbar which we've given him now, the logic being it'll last longer then a normal chew and give him continuity when he has it in the new place
  • Tried to act as normal as possible even as we're packing boxes etc,
  • We've not disrupted the dogs things at all yet and will be leaving that to the last minute when we actually move

I'm fully anticipating toilet re-training as well as alone training again, but does anyone else have any good tips or things to look out for if you've been through this?

As I'm in UK if any of our Ameri-Bros answer this evening I'm not bring ignorant by not responding and will tomorrow in our timezone

Thanks in advance

Paul, Em and Stan

We're a military family, so my dogs have gone through multiple moves. The most recent one (three years ago) was cross- country. They've always just picked right up where they left off in the new house. As long as they have their beds, their bowls, their routine (as much as possible) and their people, they're absolutely fine. My biggest concern with moves is making sure the dogs are secure when things are being carried in and out. Usually, I'll take everything out of one room except their beds, bowls, a few toys etc... That way, the movers have no need to go into that room. I put a baby gate up to make sure they're safe and there's no risk of them slipping out the door.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

We move last year and our dogs were just fine. In fact, in one week, they were in our old, at our son and DIL, and then our rental. Two months later we were in our new house. So, within two months, they had been in four places. Makes life interesting.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I don't foresee any difficulties, greyhound or not. I take Summer to all kinds of places (admittedly, not moving house) and often leave her in strange places completely alone (such as a newly-checked-into hotel room). She's perfectly fine. Previous dogs (non-grey) have moved house with me and the thought never even crossed my mind that they might have an issue with it and they never did.

You'll be fine! :)

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We moved last spring. Summit has been lots of places with me. I'll move him with me any time I have to stay somewhere for any length of time. He always starts to look anxious when he sees the suitcases and boxes which is understandable, but all in all it's not a huge deal. When we move houses we do the same as others with emptying out one room and baby gating the dogs in there while we move all our stuff out to the truck. Pets a the last to be loaded and the first to be unloaded. Baby gate the dogs into a room in the new place and then unload all our stuff.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Clawsandpaws

I agree with everyone else, we have had our grey for a year now, we moved after having him 8 months, our move was disorganized, had to gate him in the kitchen for hours! Poor guy, but once we were in the new apt, he was fine, I was more worried than he was!

He has also been in another home for about a week when I was vacation, he didn't even miss me!

I commend your concern, but for what it's worth, I moved with my Greyhound (and three cats) and George didn't bat an eyelash! And our new home was very different--stairs instead of an elevator, totally different type of neighborhood, wood floor in the kitchen (he hates shiney floors), and he had a pretty serious case of separation anxiety when first adopted.

My neighbors tell me that the first day I returned to work and left him, he cried for about two minutes, and that was it.

I didn't do much to cater to him either--he's bonded to ME, not the condo! As long as I'm around, he's fine. He even spent a month with my mother this past summer in her place, and because he knows HER, he also did find. No complaints from her neighbors when she left him.

Greyhounds are surprisingly adaptable. Most dog are, in fact!

We moved 3,000 miles, twice, with a pair of English Setters. They never batted an eyelash, even flying for both moves!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I understand your concern. Peyton is a pretty chill puppy but he hated our last move and ended up chewing the door frame when we popped out to grab some dinner. For him, I think it's because he was bounced around a bit before we adopted him, and he used to have a little separation anxiety.

If you stay relaxed and get all his things settled, he should be okay. :) Good luck with the move!

Guest greytone

My husband and I brought our first house in 2011. And I think we were more stressed about moving compared to Freddie. Once we got to our house, we took him for a walk around the yard and then we went into the house. We showed him his bed and he laid down and took a nap.

Guest PaulEmandStan

Day 1 - Very anxious dog, whining, barking simply would not settle, following morning up at the crack of dawn had us haunted for attention, and wouldn't touch his food

Day 2 - Much, much better, more calm, realised where his new "corners" were. Ate some of his food and seemed a lot happier, slept well and let us have a lie in

Day 3 - Slept for pretty much all of the day but back to his normal self we think, playful and cheeky. Left him alone for an hour whilst we went to the shops and came back to a sleepy dog and an unsullied house. We realised that during the packing/moving phases he didn't get his normal 20 hours a day sleep so has been catching up, went for a massive walkies and now he's back asleep.

Going really well :)

Guest memadeit

I move this past July. I have had my dogs for years. Five for my female and three for my male. All the years we had them, we always did trips. Long distance and short. I didn't think that the move would affect them much. I was wrong. If my female was able to pack a her bag, I think she would have. The one that LOVES trips, she cried and wined when she realized that we were not going back to "home". She still isn't back to her "normal" yet. The closest she has come to it, is when my parents took care of the dogs for a weekend at their house, where she has visited in the past. She has always slept in my bedroom with me, but since the move, she refuses to do the stairs. So she likes to stand at the stairs and wines a lot.

she still clings more then she used to, and she tells me about leaving her "alone" even when shes not. My kids tell me that she will go to the door and stay there if I leave her with them untill I come home.

You don't know what will happen untill it does. If you can, I would suggest that you take the dog over to the property for it to check out the outside if possible.