Foot Excorcism

Guest Timo

This has happened twice, about a month apart. All of a sudden out of nowhere,Ttimo starts frantically chewing on his foot/toe, squealing as he's doing it.

The second time was this morning. He looked like he was trying to pull off one of his toes, like there was a demon inside! And, he acted OCD about it. We tried to distract him, and he allowed a few treat distractions, but then he went right back to it. It seems that it might be nerve pain, massive itch, or a cramp? This lasted for a few minutes... And then he's back to normal. No limping. Just wondering what it could be and if anyone else has had this experience. Thanks!

Wendy has done this to her thigh on occasion but without the squealing. It's very funny to watch and disturbing at the same time. I have no idea what causes this. :youcrazy

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

If it's anything like happens to me sometimes while driving when a finger tendon gets locked straight in its sheath, I don't blame Timo for having a go at it! It's an arthritic condition. Recommend the usual things like fish oil, vitamin E, glucosamine etc.

Dogs actually can get a kind of Gout too and it may be a wake-up call for kidney issues.

Guest Jacks_Human

It could be an itch, a random cramp, or whatever.

If it's anything like happens to me sometimes while driving when a finger tendon gets locked straight in its sheath, I don't blame Timo for having a go at it! It's an arthritic condition. Recommend the usual things like fish oil, vitamin E, glucosamine etc.

Dogs actually can get a kind of Gout too and it may be a wake-up call for kidney issues.

Also this-- some kidney issues can mean excessive flushing of salts, which means obnoxious muscle cramps.

Thanks! He currently gets fish oil and glucosamine with his meals. Maybe I should up his dosage? I felt so bad for him when it was happening. He was really frantic.

Had he had bloodwork done recently? All my pups have bloodwork done annually to keep good track of things.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Sounds like cramp to me. If you've ever had one of those toe cramps where they go rigid you'll know you can't think of anything else until it stops! You could try doing what I do with toe cramps; push into an exaggerated flexion, and release, then an extension and release. For a dog you'd curl the toes downwards firmly, hold for a few seconds, and release, then push firmly up against the bottom of the toe pads so that the toes are extended upwards as far as is comfortable, hold for a few seconds, then release. For people it can work like magic. Others swear by standing on a cold floor.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop