'off' Behavior This A.m. - Thoughts On What To Watch For/do ..

This is about my Nutty girl ....

She has been having some spine/lower back issues and we've begun treating them with chiropractic and acupuncture treatments. While she is still, on occasion, having some discomfort, it isn't nearly as sever or frequent. I'm trying to do some massage on her on occasion also.

Early this morning, with our first 'out' of the day and breakfast, she displayed some unusual behavior for her -- nothing 'dramatic' to take off to the e-vet or anything, and she did seem better when we got up an hour+ later for me to get ready for work, but I'll try to explain the best I can to get your thoughts on what to watch for and maybe what to 'do' if it continues ... as of this moment, I'm in a just watch and see mode..

We got up and headed to the door to go out. She was a bit behind, but frequently she HAS to go get a toy to carry to the door, so I didn't think anything of it. However, she is usually right AT the door to go out - to the point that I have to be really careful opening the door because I don't want to scrape across the tops of her feet. This morning she was standing back just a bit and when I opened the door, it was almost like she didn't know what to do. She was standing and looking at me, so I gently put my hand on her head/neck and directed her around the door to go out .. and she did. I'm a bad mom I suppose, but I didn't watch them in the yard (in part, early morning is dark and I can't really see them!).. I fixed their breakfast, put their bowls in their places and let the girls in. they usually run right to their bowls. Waterproof did, but Nutty didn't and seemed a bit .... lost ? She was just standing there. So, initially I thought maybe she was hurting again and wouldn't go stand still to eat. I told her it was OK and directed her to her bowl. She still just seemed lost and didn't even move to try to eat. So, I picked up her bowl and showed it to her. Took just a second, but finally she started lapping at it (I put yogurt and a lot of water on it, so there is liquid to drink off). I tried to slowly move the bowl to her eating place .. but she just stopped eating. Finally, I just held the bowl but noticed that she was just licking and licking in absolutely only 1 spot. If I turned the bowl in a circle, she would lick around, but always just 1 spot.. if I tried to move the bowl so she would lick in the center where the food was piled, she would just move her head to lick the curve of the bowl in that one spot. Eventually I tipped the bowl so the kibble would slide down and she did eat everything but about 5 - 6 pieces of kibble. I felt like she was going a bit of turning to the left -- not spinning or extremely noticeable, but whenever she turned around it was to the left. After they ate, I went on to do what I needed to do then I laid back down for a bit. Usually she follows me into the bathroom -- but today it almost seemed she waited on Waterproof to finish and followed her back to the bedroom. She laid down and we slept for another hour or so. After we got back up, there was one point she was laying there and I could hear her doing a really high pitched 'thin' whine. I went and comforted her and she seemed to be better. I finished getting ready for work then we headed back out to go outside again. She grabbed a toy per usual and came right to the door. She seemed to be OK outside and went potty a time or 2 ... and came right back in. I still feel like there is a very slight left tendency -- though, at this point it may just be me.... She was never panty, panicky, freaked out or seeming stressed in any way... At one point, for a VERY short moment, the way she was staring and almost seemed to not know where she was - I wondered if she could see ... but figured she's be showing signs of stress/panic if that were the case ..

She just turned 11 in December but other than getting up slower and the pain in her spine now, I don't think you'd ever guess she was that 'old' ... I'm not in panic mode myself yet, but am alerted and a bit concerned .. at this moment in time I don't really think there is an immediate need to see a vet ... but any thoughts on anything else to watch for ... what might be going on? If I should take her to the vet .. what should I have them check/do ... ???

Thanks

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

I don't want to worry you unduly, and I may be way off the mark, but eating from one side only of the bowl can be a sign of a stroke. My boy did this a year ago when he had what the neurologist believed was a brain stem TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack). His eyesight in one eye was also affected, which made him confused and unsure of himself. He did make a full recovery from this after about a week.

One thing you should know is that if it was a TIA, it can be a warning of a more serious stroke to come, so you may want to discuss with your vet (or neurologist) whether there is anything you need to be doing or checking to prevent a stroke: checking for high blood pressure, for example.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest grey_dreams

The seeming confusion, like she didn't know what to do, also made me think of stroke. Hawthorn has good advice about checking with your vet. Hope that Nutty will be back to normal soon.

she should get a 1/4 of a baby aspirin daily (per Dr. Couto) if you are not already....

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The thought of possibly a stroke (mild stroke - are there 'degrees' of stroke?) entered my mind ... and I will see if I can talk to one of my vet people soon ... Thank you.

She doesn't currently get any aspirin -- but I will look into that - regular aspirin? What MG for the 1/4 dose? In the past for various reasons I've used ascriptin ... also low dose aspirin (81mg)...

(though, if she's getting this will it in any way effect or cause a problem if/when I give her a tramadol for her occasional spinal/back pain? hopefully it doesn't happen anymore, but one never knows)

Not working from home today - I did text the lady who lets the girls out for me to be sure to let me know if anything doesn't seem right - though when I left for work Nutty seemed pretty much back to 'normal'. I haven't heard back from my neighbor at all, so we'll see. I do work from home tomorrow however ...

Thanks.

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

The thought of possibly a stroke (mild stroke - are there 'degrees' of stroke?) entered my mind ... and I will see if I can talk to one of my vet people soon ... Thank you.

She doesn't currently get any aspirin -- but I will look into that - regular aspirin? What MG for the 1/4 dose? In the past for various reasons I've used ascriptin ... also low dose aspirin (81mg)...

(though, if she's getting this will it in any way effect or cause a problem if/when I give her a tramadol for her occasional spinal/back pain? hopefully it doesn't happen anymore, but one never knows)

Not working from home today - I did text the lady who lets the girls out for me to be sure to let me know if anything doesn't seem right - though when I left for work Nutty seemed pretty much back to 'normal'. I haven't heard back from my neighbor at all, so we'll see. I do work from home tomorrow however ...

Thanks.

Dr. Couto recommends 1/4 of a baby aspirin once a day (the low dose, 81 mg baby aspirin). I buy generic coated, not the orange Bayer ones -- I don't know if those are safe since they are sweetened. You may want to check with your vet before starting though. Ours have always gotten them just as a precaution.

He also recommends getting a baby aspirin in your dog as soon as possible if you think they're having a stroke, it helps minimize the outcome.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Dr. Couto recommends 1/4 of a baby aspirin once a day (the low dose, 81 mg baby aspirin). I buy generic coated, not the orange Bayer ones -- I don't know if those are safe since they are sweetened. You may want to check with your vet before starting though. Ours have always gotten them just as a precaution.

He also recommends getting a baby aspirin in your dog as soon as possible if you think they're having a stroke, it helps minimize the outcome.

I've used the generic coated low dose - 81mg before... but wow .. splitting that~ Ok, thanks... I'll check.

If she did have a stroke -- it was sometime in the night I'm guessing because she was 'fine' when we went to bed and displayed this behavior when we got up around 5am. She seemed 'fine' at 7am .... and my neighbor said, to her, she seemed slow - to get up from laying down, but otherwise ok.

My girl Jacey used to have episodes like this (we were calling her Spacey Jacey.). It was almost like an absence seizure. She'd stare at a food dish like she didn't know what it was. If she actually picked up kibble in her mouth, it fell out when she tried to chew with her mouth open. She'd stare straight ahead when I talked to her (like a nervous dog reluctant to face you), but she'd move along cooperatively if I put her on leash and walked with her. I'd take her outside to pee; when we came back in, I'd take the leash off, and she'd stand and stare at the front door as if she wasn't sure what to do next. (But if I took her back outside, she didn't pee again, so she wasn't staring at the door asking to go out.)

These episodes were infrequent--once every few weeks?--then happened twice in one week. I took her to the vet, but her lab work was all fine. On the off-chance that it was tick-related, we did a round of doxycycline. That didn't make a difference. The vet and I couldn't find out what was wrong, but we decided to act as if it was seizure-activity. Jacey was 7, which is an unlikely age for epilepsy to start. The expense of an MRI didn't make much sense: the only things we figured it would show was things we wouldn't be able to treat. The vet prescribed valium, which I kept on hand in case the episodes occurred more than once in a 24-hour period--which might make them the equivalent of cluster seizures.

And they stopped. I never had to use the valium for her. This all happened during the summer of 2010; in the summer of 2011, Jacey became critically ill with imune-mediated thrombocytopenia, and we had to put her to sleep. I don't think the two ailments were connected. It's just that Jacey was my mystery-ailment girl, and we never found the cause behind things that went wrong.

ETA: When the episodes occurred, they lasted less than 5 minutes.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Kay, if you have to split the aspirin, get a pill splitter from the pharmacy. At one time Jerry took a small pill (think itty-bitty) that had to be split and the pill splitter worked like a charm!

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

I agree with Raineysmom about the low dose aspirin therapy. Both of our greys are 12 and both get 1/4mg 81mg every day. (Per Dr. Couto also) He said it is a good idea for any senior greyhound to do the aspirin therapy since they are prone to strokes. His greyhound had a stroke the same day ours did. We talked in great length about it.