Middle Of The Night Pottying

Guest greysmitten

Guest greysmitten

Over the last two weeks, Azi has been waking me up in the middle of the night to go outside to poop. It doesn't happen every night, but maybe 3-4 times per week.

Her diet hasn't changed, nor do her stools appear any different in consistency, only frequency. She will go a couple of times per day, whereas she used to go only once, maybe twice.

Thoughts? (Between her and an early rising toddler, I need sleep!)

This happened with Fen. $1,000 worth of tests later and an ultrasound diagnosed mild kidney damage of an unknown orgin. Treatment: not a thing we can do. Now we have a dog door.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest IrskasMom

I get up at least once a Night . I don't mind while I am retired . The reason I belief is , he eats on his own Terms ....late . 8 or 9 PM . Very few Times early . I also have to say . he poops then in the Night and three to four times during the Day . Go figure .

Has Azi's outside schedule changed with the colder weather? Could it be that she's not getting to stay outside as long?

You might try an earlier dinner with a longer outing, then a later trip outside just before bedtime. And a very little bit of kibble or a treat right at bedtime to keep her stomach settled.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest greysmitten

Thank you, everyone. I sincerely hope this isn't a medical issue as gracegirl experienced.

She has, indeed, been spending less time outdoors. She makes sure to poop though, when she is out there. Perhaps she isn't fully finishing the job on account of the cold.

IrskasMom, we also graze feed. Always have. Maybe I will ensure she eats a good meal in the late afternoon and pray for solid potty before bed!

KF, yea! She will absolutely need a bite just before bed - she gets barfy if her stomach is empty too long.

Thank you, all. Very grateful for the GT support.

If by "graze feed" you mean free feed, then you can easily solve this issue by feeding her regular meals, one in the AM and one in the afternoon.

Just pick times that work consistently for you and space them roughly 12 hours apart. You might also consider a walk in the evening--doesn't have to be a long walk, but walking usually gets things in motion, so to speak, and in my experience MOST dogs will poop on a regular schedule if you keep their walks and meals regular also.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Could she somehow have picked up worms? I had this problem with Doc at one point and that was what it turned out to be - he was being fed same time, same food as normal but obviously his digestion was affected!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest greysmitten

Hm, she could have picked up worms, I suppose. It's always a possibility.

George - my dog will rarely stick around and eat a whole meal in one sitting. She'll usually only do this if I put something amazing in it, like chicken broth.

Burpdog - Yes, I'm glad she does wake me, instead of making a mess!