Traumatized ... Just Witnessed Dog Attack.... Long, Sorry.

Guest lynne893

Guest Brindle2Black

I carry mace, but I know it will only do so much. To me, (my opinion!), no matter how sweet the dog, many will do instinctively what their breed has has been bred to do for generations! Pitbulls should NOT be pets, or there should be some sort of law making it VERY hard to own one! Especially if you don't know how to train or control them! Way, WAY too many stories about attacks by these dogs!

This!!! I've seen lots of quarrels that looked and sounded horrific and terrifying but no one got hurt (or very minor injuries). They are very powerful animals and if they intended to seriously injure or kill, they would have.

About a month after Minerva came home, my parent's golden attacked her. The sounds were awful and he actually chased and pinned her down on the ground. We couldn't get him off... I was pulling on his collar, my dad was actually kicking him but Caesar wouldn't let her go. The only way I got him off of her was when I grabbed his back end (the "tuck") and pulled up and away as hard as a could. I thought for sure Minerva got seriously hurt. I looked her over and couldn't even find a scratch. The only thing that was hurt was her feelings

I just wanted to add, Caesar was sick with Lyme disease when that happened and this wasn't normal behavior for him. Minerva and Caesar are good buddies now

Just because a dog is lucky enough not to suffer physical injuries does NOT mean no damage was done. Once they have been attacked by another dog many of them will become dog aggressive themselves-for the rest of their life. Fatal injuries also do not require blood. In this instance a pit shaking a small white dog by the throat like a rag doll would seem to cause injury to me also like the OP said( whether there was blood present or not-just think about the physics of the force involved and the tissues it was used on.)

Guest mirinaaronsmom

When my first grey was attacked by a mastiff, I took him to the e-vet and they kept him overnight to make sure there were no internal injuries. There was very little blood, but that doesn't mean those puncture wounds from the mastiff's teeth didn't put a hole in his lung. Thankfully, Aaron did not have any internal injuries, but I was glad to leave him there just to be sure.

My city is in the process of constructing an ordinance to attempt to control the pit bull population. I'm not sure I agree with focusing on a single breed. It's usually the irresponsible owners that cause the problems. I wish there was a way to control them.

Sorry you witnessed this but glad your pups are okay. Pitbulls and a few others breeds are VERY hard to handle if they get excited. Many men who think they can hold them on a leash often cannot and while I feel it's very unfortunate Pits and other 'bully breeds' have been singled out, they are just too strong for many owners. If I ever see one with my dogs around, I head the other way quickly no matter what the owner states.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.