Molly Tore A Nail

Molly has a torn toenail (not dewclaw) it has bled a little, and is obviously sore. I have always let torn dewclaws heal on their own, but this hurts her when ever she stands or walks. I am not sure what to do. I have a call in to her vet, but haven't heard back. Obviously, it is not an emergency but I don't want her to hurt. Any suggestions?

Nixon ripped one of his hind nails nearly off a couple of years ago.

I don;t remember him being in a lot of pain except for when it happened.

We kept it wrapped and covered with a toddler sock so he wouldn't lick it. It started to get infected so he went on some antibiotics.

If Molly is in a lot of pain, perhaps she has actually disclocated the toe....the vet will be able to put it back.

Ruby dislocated one of hers, but it went back in on it's own.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest cwholsin

Torn nails are definitely sore, but if it came off completely there's no real reason to take her in to the vet. If it didn't come off completely you'll probably need the vet to take off whatever's left. If it's that painful, maybe some of the quick is still exposed? When Hermes tore off a back nail, he limped a bit on that foot but it didn't seem to bother him that much otherwise. The biggest issues are keeping dirt out of it and keeping her from licking at it. A bootie or a sock are good for that (provided you can keep it on lol).

Guest mama_mia

Mia unfortunately has done this a few times. She always seems fine within a few days. We've found that she deals well with us wrapping it with vet wrap for a day or so and then leaving her alone. The new nail usually grows in nicer than the one she ripped off!