Open Wound

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Oooof. Our boys just got into it outside after dinner which left Hermes with a small circular wound on top of his head. It's a bit bigger than an eraser and is just as round. I don't think it's big enough to warrant a staple.

I wanted advice on caring for an open wound. We cleaned it off and covered it with some antibacterial for now, since there was poop involved in this scuffle (don't ask me how). When should we uncover it for healing? It's still bleeding some, so the pad will help stop that and the location of it means hewon't be able to lick it or otherwise bother it (lucky I guess?). Maybe uncover it tomorrow?

I think it should be open so long as it's stopped bleeding.

Is there any chance it is deeper, like a puncture, even a fairly shallow one? Was a bite involved? Especially if poop was involved, a course of oral antibiotics might be good if that was the case. Beth got two punctures from being bitten by another dog after Thanksgiving so I've just been through this.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest cwholsin

I'm pretty sure it was a bite puncture. His skull kept it from being deep puncture >.o I didn't actually see any poop near the wound, but the non-damaged grey had some on him. We have an antibacterial wound spray that we used and covered it loosely with a sterile pad. We'll check it before bed to see if it's stopped Bleeding. I guess I can now say that I've seen my dog's skull :P

Edited by cwholsin

I don't know that it should be closed up with EMT gel if it's a bite puncture -- the thing is bite wounds must be able to drain. And if it's a puncture he should have oral antibiotics to be safe. Really.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

If it's not bleeding then leave it uncovered and open to the air.

The 'good' thing is he won't be able to lick it.

For a puncture wound I would probably get some antibiotics as a precaution.

Keep a close eye on it for any signs of infection.

I like Colloidal Silver...we have some in gel form, with Aloe added.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest cwholsin

On closer inspection, he has a small tear in his ear and bruising too. The side of his head and his ear are tender and a little swollen, so when our other boy goes in for pee issues (see the peeing in his sleep thread in H&M) I'll ask for a round of antibiotics for my poor Hermes. He was really upset by this fight, trembling a bit and last night he would growl softly anytime Nash got near to him. They're so over it today, thankfully.

Edited by cwholsin