Hello From Arkansas!

Guest Subumu

Hello everyone! I'm currently a senior in college and looking to move into a house once I graduate, and of course, must get a dog :P I'm a huge animal lover and have been obsessing lately over what kind of dog to get and I believe a greyhound would be perfect for me. I joined this forum after seeing several greyhound owners refer to it as a holy grail of information. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about greyhounds so I can be as prepared as possible when I get one. I probably won't be able to adopt one until sometime this summer, so for now I'll have to settle for looking at everyone's pictures! I'm hoping to make it to a few meet and greets, though the nearest adoption places are several hours from me.

Anyway, hope to see many more adorable greyhound pictures in my time here :)

:welcome You will find a wealth of info here, a caring GT community, and lots of cute pics.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest IrskasMom
Hello and welcome!

And in my biased opinion, greyhounds are the best, and you should definitely get one ;)

I agree with above Poster . We let you find out for yourself . WELCOME to GT. :wave:wave:wave

Guest undergreysspell

Welcome and congrats on almost finishing college!! Greyhounds are amazing and so are the people who love them. Keep us updated when you get your dog and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks everybody! Hopefully I'll be able to report back with lots of pictures within the next year. I'll just have to stick to being an information sponge until then.

:wave Hello and welcome!

You will have a greyt time here learning all kinds of things about greyhounds, and having fun too!

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Welcome!!!

I'm a former and future college student (currently too severely disabled to attend regularly) also in Arkansas - I don't know what adoption group you're looking at, or if you're even looking at them yet, but might I recommend Mid-south in West Memphis? Bit far if you're in NWA or the southern bits of the state, but really great people, I'm picking up my service dog candidate from them in another week or two and they've been nothing but amazing to work with.

Hope that everything works out for you in your adoption journey, congrats on almost being done with school, and good luck!

Thanks again everyone :)

Welcome!!!

I'm a former and future college student (currently too severely disabled to attend regularly) also in Arkansas - I don't know what adoption group you're looking at, or if you're even looking at them yet, but might I recommend Mid-south in West Memphis? Bit far if you're in NWA or the southern bits of the state, but really great people, I'm picking up my service dog candidate from them in another week or two and they've been nothing but amazing to work with.

Hope that everything works out for you in your adoption journey, congrats on almost being done with school, and good luck!

I'm in central Arkansas and have been keeping my eye on Mid-South. I joined their facebook group and they seem like a great bunch of people. I'm hoping to make it to a couple of their events over the next few months. They're a couple hours away from me and I'll have to plan ahead for it but it shouldn't be too difficult to do. I've also been watching GPA Springfield since they're the second closest. I wish they had an active facebook page or group. I love being able to gauge how the people involved with the group are. Congrats on picking up your dog soon! And glad to hear the group has been great :)

I'm in central Arkansas and have been keeping my eye on Mid-South. I joined their facebook group and they seem like a great bunch of people. I'm hoping to make it to a couple of their events over the next few months. They're a couple hours away from me and I'll have to plan ahead for it but it shouldn't be too difficult to do. I've also been watching GPA Springfield since they're the second closest. I wish they had an active facebook page or group. I love being able to gauge how the people involved with the group are. Congrats on picking up your dog soon! And glad to hear the group has been great :)

GPAMO is a great group, I'm sure, (and way closer to me than midsouth) but they rejected me on the basis that they didn't think greyhounds were a good fit for a working animal even after I attended several meet and greets where I was told the contrary. This was before applying to Mid-South, who accepted my application right off the bat and who were extremely enthusiastic and helpful in finding me a candidate. Not to impugn upon them, mb they just never had heard enough about working greys to be confident in adopting one out for that purpose which I'm totally fine with and understand, but I'd keep it in mind mb, especially if MSGAO is the closer one to you (there was another couple from NWA adopting the day I was visiting that got rejected from GPAMO too - Midsouth might seem a bit stricter since they require references, but it seems they adopt out more dogs in general, maybe since they're a kennel rather than foster-based organization and right on the track. their director vicki in particular is super nice and easy to talk to)

Good luck, again, with everything!

Edited by kmcmcf

Midsouth is a good group and dealing with Vicki, the director is easy. She very nice and easy going. I adopted my first 6 from Midsouth and our new girl Bandita I adopted from there last year.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'm very happy to hear good things about MSGAO! I'm getting more excited by the day about adopting. Thanks so much for the information you all have given me about MSGAO. I'm looking forward to going there in the (somewhat) near future!