Worms In Treats?

Guest PiagetsMom

Guest PiagetsMom

A couple of weeks ago I purchased some Wellness Core Grainfree Yogart, Apple, Banana treats for the pups because I couldn't find the treats I normally give. They eat the Wellness Core food so I figured they'd be fine with them.

They came in a box, in a sealed plastic bag. I disposed of the box, left them in the bag, but also put them in a Ziplock storage bag to keep them fresh. They've been eating them for the last couple of weeks.

Last night I found some type of worms, about a 1/2 inch long, in the bag with the treats. I threw them away, and as far as I know, they pups didn't eat any of the worms.

I'm wondering if I need to worry about anything?

Probably just meal moth larvae.

If you tend to buy things in quantity or have concerns, you can put treats in the freezer for a couple days -- that'll kill most things.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PiagetsMom

Actually, I don't buy large quantities, but these are just bed time treats so they last us for a few weeks. I'll be sticking them in the freezer next time, as suggested!

Thanks! :)

Yes, almost certainly insect larvae of some kind, probably grain beetle/grain eating moth caterpillars/larvae. Shouldn't pose a health risk to your dogs - a vet once said to me that he never minded finding slugs or caterpillars in his salad because at least it meant his food wasn't full of pesticides! Good point, I thought!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop