Other Options For Tendinitis

Lexie had an x ray of her shoulder and has tendinitis. Vet said to try rimadyl for a week to see if it made a difference. I only noticed very slight improvement. I will be calling the vet to see what he wants to do next, but I wanted to see if any of you guys had suggestions that worked for your greys. Any meds to stay away from? Thanks. Lexie has a very sensitive tummy. The rimadyl didn't bother her.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

If she gets along with the Rimadyl, it might be worth keeping her on it for 4-8 weeks and then reassess. For tendonitis, you want -1- an anti-inflammatory and -2- rest.

Hope she makes a complete recovery!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If she gets along with the Rimadyl, it might be worth keeping her on it for 4-8 weeks and then reassess. For tendonitis, you want -1- an anti-inflammatory and -2- rest.

Hope she makes a complete recovery!

Thanks. I didn't know how long she could be on the rimadyl. I do notice with rest it does improve but it is hard to keep telling her to rest...lol

I can't speak to tendonitis in greys, but I had achilles tendonitis myself, and with nsaids, a wrap and rest, it still took about 5 weeks for the pain/discomfort to go away completely. Hope Lexi is feeling better soon!!

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

I can't speak to tendonitis in greys, but I had achilles tendonitis myself, and with nsaids, a wrap and rest, it still took about 5 weeks for the pain/discomfort to go away completely. Hope Lexi is feeling better soon!!

ok thx..I didn't realize how long it would take to heal.

How close are you to Ohio State? They have an I-therm that works wonders on all sorts of problems. It sounds like smoke and snake oil, but I can testify from personal experience that it works - my Vet has one! If you aren't close to OSU, I would call the manufacturer and see if there is one in your area.

Go here: kldmedical.net/i-therm

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have tendinitis frequently, and what works is 2-2-2. 2 alleves (naproxen), 2x per day, for 2 weeks. That is what my orthopedic doctor recommends. You need a fairly high, consistent dose of nsaids to make the inflammation really go away, rather than just to relieve the pain. I don't know what the equivalent would be for a dog, though.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

I would try something like cold laser therapy. My vet is big into it, and quite a few vets offer it now. It's helped me as well for tendon issues in a knee.

Article that just went online today in my local paper, about my vet clinic, that focuses a lot on therapeutic laser: http://wcfcourier.com/lifestyles/alternative-medicine-for-animals-gains-momentum/article_f2e89f7a-e42e-551e-9a37-46ef3d53eab0.html

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I talked to the vet and he wants to try deramax for 7 days and see if there is any improvement.

How close are you to Ohio State? They have an I-therm that works wonders on all sorts of problems. It sounds like smoke and snake oil, but I can testify from personal experience that it works - my Vet has one! If you aren't close to OSU, I would call the manufacturer and see if there is one in your area.

Go here: kldmedical.net/i-therm

I never heard of itherm. I will look into it. Thanks. I am about 2 1/2 hours from Ohio State.

If you switch NSAIDs, you need to wait 3-4 days in between (longer if the first one was aspirin), without giving either one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.