New Night Barking/rooing.

We have had Max (age 4 1/2) for just over 2 years. He has been laid back from day 1. No separation anxiety, no slerp aggression, etc. He has always slept in his crate. 2 months ago he was injured at Petsmart bc the groomer put him on a table to do his nails (I was shocked to find this out--he's 86#!!) and he fell and bruised and lacerated the insides of his thighs. Needless to say he was in pain so the bet gave him NSAID and after a few days he was much better. He started barking in his cage. I would let him out to potty but he wouldn't go. Then recrate him. He would go this a few times a night. So I let him sleep in our room, but he would get up a lot and roache on the end of the bed and shake his ears and snort and it would wake us up every time. I tried letting him sleep outside his crate in hallway but he would roo and bark at our door. I don't want him out downstairs bc I have 2 kids and I don't always hear them get up and I don't believe in letting dog and kids be together without adults. Anyway, eventually he stopped and slept fine in his crate. Now this night barking started back up 2 nights ago. He doesn't have to go potty. Help!!! Do we do earplugs and hope he figured out we r not going to let him out??! Thx! -Kathy

Do we do earplugs and hope he figured out we r not going to let him out??!

Short answer- yes. He's learned that barking gets him the attention he wants, which is you getting up to check on him and let him out several times through the night. An adult dog is capable of holding it for 8-10 hours. So here is the answer. Let him out at normal time for his last P&P. Then be prepared to endure some noise for a few nights. Because you already caved in several times and gave him what he wanted, he will probably get upset and throw a tantrum. You now have to counter-condition the behavior so that his noise is no longer rewarded.

Don't worry, you're not the first or the last person to do this. Happens to the best of us.

Is he wearing Pajamas or a coat? You might try that if you haven't.

Rocket sleeps through the night with minimal movement / activity when wearing PJ's or a coat because he's nice and warm. On nights when he doesn't have PJ's or a coat on, he will wake up and pace, walk, shift positions, dig etc until he finds a warm spot.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks so much! This reminds me of my infants who were still getting up 3x night after one year old. I just needed Someone to tell me it's ok and I can let him bark. I feel bad for him so I check him. :)

@timeforanap; maybe I will get him pjs. Our house is 60 st night, but always has been and he never cared before. He has a double high bed and a fleece blankie in his crate.