Flaxseeds...whole Or Ground?

Guest snoopycomehome

Guest snoopycomehome

I have been sprinkling flaxseed onto their food...but I keep reading about people using ground. I was wondering if my greys are benefitting from whole, or if I should throw it into the coffee grinder first?

:dunno

We always grind ours.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

What nutritional value are the flaxseed for dogs. I know it is in some dog foods.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

What nutritional value are the flaxseed for dogs. I know it is in some dog foods.

OK, this is a little lengthy but searched and found this about flaxseed benefits for dogs..

"

1. Flax seed is an excellent source of alpha-linolenic acid, a type of Omega-3 fatty acid. Omega-3 fatty acids are critical for your pet's skin and coat health. They can prevent dry, itchy skin, shedding, and hot spots. Omega-3 fatty acids may reduce or or stop the need for cortisone shots or steroids in dogs suffering from allergies. They can also heal cracked paws and nails.

The Veterinarians Guide to Natural Remedies for Dogs recommends that flax seed oil be added daily in the following dosages to the food of dogs with chronic skin problems: 1 tsp. of oil for small dogs; 2 tsp. for medium dogs; 1 tbsp. for large dogs; and for giant breeds, 2 to 3 tbsp.

Natural Pet Care names flax seed as an anti-inflammatory useful in treating arthritis. However, the Flax Seed Oil informational brochure says that dogs may not efficiently convert the alpha-linolenic acid in flax seed oil to the DHA and EPA forms of Omega-3 fatty acid with the strongest anti-inflammatory properties. Even so, the brochure suggests that flax seed oil may provide relief to dogs with mild cases of arthritis.

The Colorado State University presentation Nutrition and Cancer: New Keys for Cure and Control 2003 suggests that Omega-3 fatty acids may help stop tumor growth in dogs with cancer. Malignant tumors can't use fats to fuel their growth. Dr. Gregory Ogilvie, who gave the presentation, concluded that dogs on high n-3 fatty acid diets which contained few simple carbohydrates had improved chemotherapy responses, fewer negative radiation side effects, and less severe metabolic cancer-related changes.

Flax seeds contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. According to the Mayo Clinic, soluble fiber absorbs water to form a gel which can decrease blood sugar and cholesterol. Flax seed has 12 percent soluble fiber. The insoluble fiber in flax seed speeds the passage of food through the digestive system. It also builds stool volume, preventing constipation.

Many vets recommend the addition of ground flax seed to a dog's regular food for these benefits, and also because heavier stools will help evacuate the dog's anal sacs, preventing impaction.

Lignans are plant estrogens found in the hulls of flax seeds. The digestive process converts flax seed lignans from plant to mammalian forms, called enterodiol and enterolactone. A 1998 study by Saskatoon's College of Medicine's Toxicology Group established that flax seed lignans effectively lowered the oxygen free radical levels in dogs experiencing endotoxemia. This indicates the lignans have significant antioxidant properties."

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

In general, what I remember from being vegan is that at least in humans: 1) Flax seed has to be stored properly (in the refrigerator, in a solid bag--no ziplock) 2) Flax seed isn't as good a source of omega 3s as fish oil, because the body has to to convert it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest snoopycomehome

Thanks, everyone! I will start grinding it and keep it in the fridge. I thought about upping the amount also, but I will keep it the same since they also get Omega 3's.

GT'ers are the BEST! :)