Tips For A Faster, More Fluid Sit

jumped to the response, haven't read all the comments.....but have you checked his tail position? i had to teach felix to move his tail to the side and under...otherwise they bounce right back up like a kangaroo! just look at his sit, if the tail is out straight behind him, while you are baiting him and saying sit/stay gently move the tail to the side. a couple of times just physically correcting the tail and it becomes natural.

have him sit for everything, this way it's tons of practice. but i will say, petite annie sits in record time..she's 10-13#s lighter and a good deal smaller. felix takes way too long to plop into a sit, one can watch the awkardness and he has ALWAYS sat....since 7 weeks when he came to us. i think it's his size and muscles...they get in the way. and trust me, that dog has practiced...the bigger he got...the slower the sit.

if you decide to bring, what we call at my training school- the magic carpet- make sure it's rubber backed, like a bath mat. this way it's a secure place that won't slip. our head teacher was a pisser, everytime there was a sit or down she ran around w/ rugs for the greyhounds and i.g. we all cracked up, but it worked.

Edited by cleptogrey

I will see how the first class goes. I have a blanket I use at at M&G's that is kept in the car. I can bring that in.

I wish this was a greyhound only class :(

I got really lucky with Henry. They had a whole series of greyhound-only classes (basic, advanced, and CGC/TDI). It was great because some dogs were high-prey, and you didn't really want to take the risk of paying $90 for a class, then having your dog stare down a fluffy for the entire thing. Unfortunately, they stopped doing them because the woman who is considered the expert on greyhound training had other time commitments for her business and wasn't able to keep teaching. Now they only do "greyhound basic," so we are venturing out into the world of other dogs. I guess it's good in ways, but the greyhound owners had a real nice comaraderie going.

jumped to the response, haven't read all the comments.....but have you checked his tail position? i had to teach felix to move his tail to the side and under...otherwise they bounce right back up like a kangaroo! just look at his sit, if the tail is out straight behind him, while you are baiting him and saying sit/stay gently move the tail to the side. a couple of times just physically correcting the tail and it becomes natural.

Hadn't ever considered the tail. His tail is always, flat and straight back. I'll see if he'll allow me to move it to one side.

I took Passon to a greyhound only class. The teachers have moved out of state which is a bummer since I keep seeing requests for hound only.

There will be 3 hounds in our class.

I never thought of little fluffy dogs. Cripes, I hope he's ok with little dogs.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I got really lucky with Henry. They had a whole series of greyhound-only classes (basic, advanced, and CGC/TDI). It was great because some dogs were high-prey, and you didn't really want to take the risk of paying $90 for a class, then having your dog stare down a fluffy for the entire thing. Unfortunately, they stopped doing them because the woman who is considered the expert on greyhound training had other time commitments for her business and wasn't able to keep teaching. Now they only do "greyhound basic," so we are venturing out into the world of other dogs. I guess it's good in ways, but the greyhound owners had a real nice comaraderie going.

Hadn't ever considered the tail. His tail is always, flat and straight back. I'll see if he'll allow me to move it to one side.

KANGAROO TAIL....THAT'S THE PROBLEM. don't worry if he gets up the first couple of times you adjust his tail. he will get the message. i don't remember if i positioned it when he was sitting, going into a sit or both. after a while they do let you adjust anything thing once they understand STAY. and as always pop a peice of hot dog or something tasty into his mouth when you are going to adjust the tail. if you get up to 1/4 turns then he will really connect w/ his bottom and start to understand exactly where it is. DON'T stop training, it's really fun, especially if you get to rally-o. truman like felix never had track training and the obedience makes a great dog in the end. felix went thru nearly 60 weeks of training- then i ran out of $$$. he still turns into a hysterical puppy at nearly 6 years of age when we practice. his eyes light up and he's 9 months old again!