What To Do About Territory Marking?

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

Hi all!

My boy Bullet is generally very good about not going potty inside, but last night we went to a friend's house that has a few dogs and the first thing he did in their house was territory mark their sofa. :ohno OMG I was so mortified, I could have died right there and then. They could have cared less, but I was super apologetic and embarrassed. I know it happens, but it isn't an ideal situation to bring your house trained dog to someone's house, only to have them mark the SOFA!

Anyway, he's NEVER done that before, but I realized that he has also never been in a house where other dogs live. So now I have decided it was either territory marking or nervousness. Though he did lift his leg, when normally he pees like a girl dog. And it was only a squirt seeing as he had just peed right before we went in.

I know this is totally common for male dogs (and even some female dogs) but what can I do in the future to prevent this? Have him wear a belly band? Is there a way to actually correct a behavior that comes so naturally to a dog - such as marking new territory. I personally don't really see territory marking as a behavioral issue, necessarily, but more of an natural instinct that is hardwired.

Either way, I thought I would come ask for any advice on ways to prevent incidents such as this in the future. :dunno

Thanks!

Edited by karilynn

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Basically you need to watch the signals that your hound gives you. You will see when he is getting ready to mark. Be ready and when he does, a sharp "AH" or other loud noise to startle him from marking. Also, when you venture to a new house with other animals, keep your hound tethered to you for a little while, or any time you think you will not be able to be in the same room as him. Yes a belly band will work, but really you need to work on the marking issue, not just put a band-aid over the problem.

Guest Clawsandpaws

Whenever I bring Dudley to a new place, I put a belly band on him, walk him around on a leash and make sure he sniffs everything. If he lifts to mark, I do the standard "ack ack" type noises. He used to soak the band so bad I would bring two! He is much better now, but I still band him for the first few minutes in any house with dogs.

Dogs don't generalize well so yes, he's housetrained at home. Now he needs to learn that he's not allowed to pee inside anyone's home. :lol

So start at square one. Keep him tethered to you as suggested above the first time or two he's in a new place and if you see him starting to sniff like he's going to mark, quickly call him to you and take him directly outside and tell him to "go potty". When he does, praise and give treats, then go back inside. Repeat ad nauseum until he stops trying. The belly band is a good idea in case he (ie. you) slip up. ;) At least it will keep your friend's sofa clean. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest karilynn

Thanks for the advice, you guys! Really appreciate it.

I take him to my parent's house all the time and he's never had an accident there, but there also aren't any dogs that live there.

The mistake I made was letting him off of his leash right away and giving him full roam of their house. Bad Karilynn! :)

thanks again

Yeah mine have done that. My rule of thumb is now that we go into a house and then straight outside without stopping even if they had a pee break before we went in/ That really seems to do the trick cause they all did it as soon as they walked in. After a sniff or run around the yard and general mixer with the resident dog all is well.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

It's not "totally common" with dogs who grew up in homes, but it seems relatively common with retired racers who grew up in kennels where it's perfectly fine to pee wherever you want! I've had two friends bring Greyhounds to my home, and both of the buggers peed!

George has peed in pet stores and at the vet, but never in someone elses house, but I watch him like a hawk.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck