Ear Issues

My girl has an ear infection. Last winter in February, her first winter off the track in her Forever Home with me, she got an ear infection. It wasn't bad and went away quickly (I don't remember the med she was on).

I noticed this past Wednesday that she was showing the same symptoms so off to the vet we went the next day. The infection is bad enough in her left ear that the vet was surprised Annie wasn't dizzy and having problems walking. She's now on ear cleaning fluid (twice a week) and Mometamax once a day for 14 days. Thankfully, after just 2 doses, her symptoms have eased up a bit. The symptoms include twitching/flicking of her left ear (the worst one), her trying to scratch it (soooo funny to see that long leg up there) and general shaking of her head often.

Anybody else's hounds get ear infections? Just curious. I'm not concerned nor worried, which is my nature in general, but I am wondering if other doggies get them, and if so, are they regular occurrences?

Edited by Feisty49

My Gee had problems with ear infections. Turned out to be allergies causing them. Got her on some allergy meds and no more infections.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I don't know if this helps or not but I put ear cleaning solution in Ruby's ears about 10 mins. before I give her a shower each month. Then I rinse it out with warm water during the shower, which she HATES. I have no idea if this is necessary but the vet does comment that her ears look great when we go in. Years ago I had a Basset and he constantly had infections and I was told to clean his ears weekly. Seemed to get rid of the need for antibiotics.

Glad to hear Miss Annie is feeling better.

Karen

I don't know if this helps or not but I put ear cleaning solution in Ruby's ears about 10 mins. before I give her a shower each month. Then I rinse it out with warm water during the shower, which she HATES. I have no idea if this is necessary but the vet does comment that her ears look great when we go in. Years ago I had a Basset and he constantly had infections and I was told to clean his ears weekly. Seemed to get rid of the need for antibiotics.

Glad to hear Miss Annie is feeling better.

Actually, you should clean her ears after the bath. Most ear cleansers help to dry an ear canal--so if your baby was to get water in her ear during her tubby cleaning her ears afterwards would dry out the canals reducing the chance she would be predisposed to an infection. :-)

Thanks for the input. Without doing tests, both the vet and I are leaning toward a seasonal allergy because this is the second time it's happened in the winter. My house turns 221 years old this year so goodness knows what stuff is in the air. Heck, it could even be caused by the lack of moisture in the air.

Besides the drop medicine, the vet gave me ear cleaning stuff with instructions to clean her ears twice a week. It's a big bottle and will last a few weeks. Before it runs out I'll ask if this is something I should continue to do.

I've never given Annie Bananie Whisker Face a bath. She doesn't get dirty. I wipe her paws down after a walk in the winter to get rid of gunk but the only bath she's had was at a PetSmart over a year ago after she played in mud.

Princess hasn't had an ear infection since I changed her to a grain-free, poultry-free food. She seemed to do fine on a chicken and rice based diet for several years and then developed ear infections and dry, itchy skin. It took some trial and error, trying different foods, but she's not had another ear infection since.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Poor Annie! No experience with ear infections; this week we are learning about eye irritations with Fred's help, But we all send you and Annie our best wishes for a speedy recovery!

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln