? Other Dogs Trying To Mount My Grey

Guest capers7

Guest capers7

My Theo for some reason draws all the humpers in the park. He stops still and will growl and snarl, but they ignore him. He is usually too tall for them, but it does not seem to matter. They seem to be attracted to a smell on his back legs, and lick his penis incessently.

I just had surgery and am living with my sister. They have an intact collie who is unable to do anything but lick him and try to mount him. He is getting really frustrated, and I am getting grossed out by the stench of MALE dog being slathered all over my poor boy.

I am wondering if there is any spray or something I can put on Theo to discourage the colliI, who has no obedience training at all, but is a sweet dog otherwise.

Capers7

We tend to run into quite a few 'humpers' on our walks, as well (when I allow for the interaction -- as a general rule, Aston is a NO-GO around little dogs). We came upon a Husky puppy the other day who *very* briefly sniffed nose-to-nose with Aston, then started to move around so they could do the mutual butt-sniff, but instead of butt-sniffing, the Husky DOVE between Aston's front legs and worm-crawled under him to lick his sheath, which earned an immediate snarl and snap from Aston. My understanding of non-propagatory humping is that it's an attempt to assert dominance? but either way, it is taken as a severely rude gesture by Aston, who will snap at the offender (whether they are both off-leash, or on). Not sure what the sheath-licking is all about.

Edit to add: Just realized I helped NOT AT ALL with my reply :lol
I don't know what to do in order to discourage this behavior by other dogs, but I believe that humping other dogs seems to be poor dog manners. Aston doesn't put up with it.

Edited by o_rooly

No real advice other than to watch closely and keep other male dogs from approaching if possible. If they're licking his penis, you might have him checked by a vet for a sheath infection. When my boy Tiny had an infection other dogs were fascinated with his penis - it was my first clue that something was wrong with him.

You have my sympathy. Riley seems to attract humpers as well, and his reaction is violent. The dog down the street is missing part of an ear as a result. I am very reluctant to allow unknown dogs to interact with him in case they turn out to be humpers because Riley will tear into them.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

my dogs must be unappealing sexually to other dogs I have never had a problem with other dogs trying to hump my dogs, other dogs have a sniff but no humping.

but then again the law says dogs must be on leads when out unless at dog park. Even in dog parks greyhounds are not allowed to be off lead here.

Guest capers7

Okay, Thanks. It is rude, and very poor obedience and control on the part of the other dog owners. However, my immediate concern is living with a perpetrator. We try to correct him, but he is clueless, and when they holler at him to stop it, Theo is the one who cringes. I was hoping someone might know a scent, herbal or something that might put off another dog or mask Theo. I have noticed that he has some yellow drops forming at the end of his sheath lately thinking it was because of the constant licking, but perhaps it preexisted. I will check into that as well. Thanks and keep the thoughts coming!

I have noticed that he has some yellow drops forming at the end of his sheath lately thinking it was because of the constant licking, but perhaps it preexisted. I will check into that as well. Thanks and keep the thoughts coming!

my dog had that problem the vet said it was normal and it was for lubrication

found this on internet

All male dogs have a yellow-green discharge. It’s actually coming from the sheath, not the penis. Quantity can vary from undetectable to a drop, but it’s all normal.

http://www.mypetsdoctor.com/male-dog-penis-and-sheath-discharge

I would take him for a check up to be on the safe side, because there are some odd tumours that produce female hormones. Off the top of my head, I know of sertoli cell tumours, which can grow on undescended (or properly descended) testicles.

Don't panic, because they're not amazingly common, and if your dog has been castrated properly it's probably not a factor, but if my male dog was that attractive to other males, and was getting humped all the time, I'd want him checked out. The vet can do a blood test for circulating female hormones and/or an ultrasound to look for tumours.

Another reason not to panic is that sertoli cell tumours aren't particularly aggressive and have a low rate of metastases. Also, removal will cure your dogs tendency to be humped.

And of course, it may simply be behavioural - that the other dogs see him as particularly submissive or something!

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Keep the dogs separated. If he gets frustrated enough, you will have a dog fight. Since you just had surgery, you aren't going to safely be able to break it up and it doesn't sound like your family is helping. Use baby gates, x pens and crates to keep the dogs apart. I don't know of any scents or sprays that would be effective on the collies behavior and safe/comfortable for Teddy. You can try spraying the collie with a water bottle, but that may scare Teddy and probably isn't the best method for the collie, but safe for you during recovery.

Talking of sprays ... there's one you can buy here in the UK called 'Anti-Mate' for use on bitches in season to try to prevent entire dogs finding them. It smells quite strongly of citronella IIRC.

It's not reliable, but I'm told it does help. It might be way to get an idea if the reason for all the dogs mounting your boy is behavioural or because he smells 'feminine', thus indicating a possible hormonal problem.

@ A_daerr - This isn't just a problem with the intact collie, who doesn't actually belong to the OP, so she can't simply decide to neuter him, but a general problem of many dogs wanting to mount her dog. While it's obviously a huge problem for someone recovering from surgery and living with an intact collie, I'd be concerned my dog's tendency to draw the humpers, simply because it isn't normal.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

First, I am sorry you both are going through this. How very frustrating. Good suggestion about keeping the two dogs separated with an x-pen. Once you are feeling better perhaps you can help train the collie to stop this behavior although in my experience (I have a friend who has 3 collies) they can be quite persistent in some behaviors and are very hard to redirect. Not much help to you, but hope you get to feeling better soon.

@ A_daerr - This isn't just a problem with the intact collie, who doesn't actually belong to the OP, so she can't simply decide to neuter him, but a general problem of many dogs wanting to mount her dog. While it's obviously a huge problem for someone recovering from surgery and living with an intact collie, I'd be concerned my dog's tendency to draw the humpers, simply because it isn't normal.

I understand, but if this is where her greyhound is going to be living, the only long-term solution to mitigate sexual behavior is to neuter.

The fact that this dog is constantly being the target of humping has less to do with scent and more to do with submissive signals/behavior.

Guest borzoix4

I would suggest you have either a groomer or the vet check your dogs anal sacs. The 'musky' odor of full or partially full sacs can confuse another dog especially one never bred before as to the reason for the odor.

Guest PhillyPups

First, I am sorry you are going through this. My hounds have been in a fenced yard with a friend's unneutered male and the interaction did not go on. I was at a dog park a long time ago and another person's dog tried to hump DonnieDude. Donnie is so non-aggressive, and the other dog was so much shorter, Donnie walked forward and the other dog fell off.

I understand the Collie is not your dog, so neutering is not your decision, however, correction of the collie can be done. I would keep them leashed in the home for a while and if the collie tries to mount your boy, an ack ack and quick pull of the lead may teach him it is inapprorpiate to hump your housemates.

I would also try to let my sister know the irresponsibility of non-neutering a male, and that it can result in prostate cancer with a male, which would then entail neutering

Good luck.

Totally off-topic and a hijack, but I don't believe not neutering a male dog is necessarily irresponsible. How that intact male is managed, both to prevent unplanned breeding and behaviorally, are what determines responsibility of the owner. Also, neutering does not prevent or treat prostate cancer in dogs. In fact, the frequency of prostate cancer is the same, or possibly even higher, in neutered males compared to intact males. Neutering does effectively prevent and aid in treatment of other prostate problems, such as prostate enlargement, infections, and abscesses.

Regarding the OP, I'm not convinced that the collie's intact status is contributing to the problem. Are all the other dogs at the park who are drawn to this dog also intact males? I agree with having him checked out medically to make sure there isn't an infection that is making him smell attractive to other dogs. Male dogs do get sheath infections, and yellow discharge isn't always normal. However, there may not be a reason for this behavior that we can detect.

My 2 non-greyhound males (a whippet and a mixed breed) both hump when they get overly excited. Both have been neutered for years. Additionally, there are certain dogs that my mix, Corey, has gotten very attracted to. I haven't noticed any pattern to it, and it's only been a handful of dogs he's met over the years. But whenever he sees one of these dogs that he's fixated on, I have to put him on leash to get him to leave them alone.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest HPGreys

I have the same exact problem! My Sirius is always the victim of humpers both female and male. I think it's because greyhounds are so tall and muscular they appear more dominant. Sirius most defiantly does not like the attention and lets the other dog know with a snap and growl. I've taken to only taking him to the dog park when it can be just the two of them and if there are more muzzle them so no biting occurs, which isn't really fair since it's not his fault. I've found the best way to divert it is a smack to the other dogs hind flank and positioning myself between the dogs. Which isnt recommended especially since I have gotten bit before doing this, but I protect his hiney from intruders. haha. I scoured the internet and could find nothing on sprays or herbs. My only suggestion is vigilance and being firm with the other dog if it looks like they may even be warming up to hump. I know if I don't get to them before the humping starts Sirius ends it pretty quickly.