Tail Question

Guest FreeholdHound

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry got out of bed this morning with what looks like a kink in his tail. There's a bump and the end 2 inches of the tail are noticeably kinked downward. He let out a small yelp when I initially ran my hand down his tail but subsequently has let me touch it w/ no real reaction. No cut, no blood. I don't know what he did to it. Is there something I should do? Sorry for ignorance but 1st time I've had any dog with this. I don't see a reason torun him in to the vet on a weekend if he's not in obvious pain or licking at it etc. I debated giving him a Traumeel tab but he seems okay. Should I just wait and see ?

Sounds like he either sprained or broke it? My theory with the vet is always that if I start thinking "should I/shouldn't I" that I definitely should. I would say he is in pain, since he yelped when it was first touched. Now he has no real reaction... does that actually mean NO reaction at all, even if you flex it? Greyhounds are so stoic about hiding their pain so the fact that he doesn't show that he's in pain when it's not being touched doesn't mean that he isn't. I actually cut Summer once with a pair of scissors, opening a wound on her shoulder blade which was severe enough to leave a scar... and she never flinched once (I was cutting out some tree sap, stupid me).

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest FreeholdHound

He's not a big tail wagger except at mealtime which he did at breakfast and he's been raising it up and down. And at the moment he's out like a light & sleeping on it. I think I will call the vet on Monday if he doesn't get worse about it as I am now dealing with a snow storm. Originally having a family party w/15 people descending on the house & was really worried about all THAT wagging and hitting. But snow cancelled that so now he can have a calm day & I can keep a better eye on him.

Check for circulation beyond the kink - color and temperature.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FreeholdHound

I've been checking the tip of his tail & it looks/feels normal. He doesn't like me to touch the actual "bump". He's been acting normal and paying no attention to his tail, there's been no whining or licking. I am going to call his Vet in the morning to bring him. I am a worry wort so it may make him feel better but it will definitely make me feel better. Him not showing pain doesn't count for much - he had a portion of his ear bitten off in transport from FL and no one knew it happened because he never complained.

Vet now! Dogs actually can break, fracture, or dislocate their tails. If it's visibly kinked (crooked or limp), it's very possible that's what happened. The longer you wait, the worse it can be for the tail. Severe tail injuries can end up in amputation. If you catch it in time, the vet can sometimes just splint it to get it back in place.

Guest FreeholdHound

Finally updating- no break. It unkinked on its own but there was still a bump that was sensitive to touch. Vet checked him out from nose to tail for other lumps & bumps (nothing) and put him on Rimadyl 2x's / day for 10 days to bring down the swelling. He's been whipping it around like crazy making me cringe but he doesn't care :)

Guest FreeholdHound

Me again... Harry started having very loose stools yesterday. I've read that this could be a side effect of the Rimadyl, and im thinking of taking him off of it. There has been absolutely no change to his diet since he started it 4 days ago. Is this common?

Guest FreeholdHound

Swelling has come down a bit - he doesn't react when I touch the spot. I've been giving the Rimadyl after his 2 daily meals 12 hrs apart. He's got 6 more days on it. He's acting like his normal goofy self just really loose stools - no vomiting.