Jealousy When Housemate Plays With Other Dogs

I take Henry and Truman to the dog park often for both the socialization and exercise aspect. We've done this with both dogs for a long time. But recently, I'm noticing a weird behavior that I'm not sure how to interpret. Henry gets jealous when his housemate, Truman, plays with other dogs. I understand that dogs aren't capable of "human" emotions like jealousy and spitefulness, but I don't know how else to say it. For whatever reason, Henry does not like Truman playing with other dogs.

It started back when Truman was a puppy, and Henry would insert himself in between Truman and the other dog (usually if the dog was small and Truman tried to chase). Now, it's all the time, with any and every other dog. Henry will literally body-block Truman or run alongside him with his body turned inward until he separates them. He will also start engaging Truman in bitey-face play, almost as if to say, "Hey! Play with me instead!" It wouldn't be a terrible thing, but Henry is very persistent, which makes Truman frustrated because he can't play with the other dogs. After several minutes of this type of back-and-forth, Truman becomes very agitated and starts snarling and snapping at Henry to get away.

It's sort of the same scenario when the two run together in the yard at home- Henry is dominant and competitive during play. He will try to initiate play by doing bitey-play on Truman's face, neck, ears, and legs even when Truman isn't really interested. When Truman tries to re-focus his attention on a toy or stuffy, Henry still won't stop with the bitey-play. I usually end up separating them and letting Truman play fetch with his toys in peace for awhile. The downside is that Henry only really plays and runs if other dogs are involved (otherwise he just stands around).

I understand that their play-styles are obviously different, but I'm wondering how I can encourage some type of play that they both enjoy. I'm also very interested in any training methods to curb Henry's jealousy at the dog park. Any help is appreciated!

Guest lanielovesgreys

Have you ever tried separating them at the dog park? Maybe hold on to Truman while Henry plays and vice versa? I know for me, it's hard to correct play behavior at the dog park because they're usually too far away to correct in time. In an ideal situation, you'd correct Henry when he's doing it. Does he ever get aggressive?

Have you ever tried separating them at the dog park? Maybe hold on to Truman while Henry plays and vice versa? I know for me, it's hard to correct play behavior at the dog park because they're usually too far away to correct in time. In an ideal situation, you'd correct Henry when he's doing it. Does he ever get aggressive?

I've tried grabbing Henry by the collar and giving him a 2-minute time out when he starts doing this behavior... But as soon as I let go of his collar, he's back at it again. He's not aggressive, just very persistent about wanting Truman to play with only him.

All my dogs, including Lilly are muzzled when we go outside. And Lilly has been since she was about 4 months old - she had/s SHARP teeth!

What helps with Lilly is making sure she has LOTS of exercise. We got a lure pole for the yard and all of mine go nuts for it. It has the added benefit of focusing their play on something other than each other, while they're still playing together. Plus it tires Lilly out pretty good! Which also might help with your problems from the other thread. ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

All my dogs, including Lilly are muzzled when we go outside. And Lilly has been since she was about 4 months old - she had/s SHARP teeth!

What helps with Lilly is making sure she has LOTS of exercise. We got a lure pole for the yard and all of mine go nuts for it. It has the added benefit of focusing their play on something other than each other, while they're still playing together. Plus it tires Lilly out pretty good! Which also might help with your problems from the other thread. ;)

Do you find that using a lure pole makes them more prey-driven? Truman already harasses the kitties to high-heaven. He's grown up with kitties almost his whole life, but he's still a kitty chaser.

No. I have two indoor cats that are loose in the house, and the dogs don't pay any more or less attention to them since we started using the poll. Lilly still thinks they might be animated squeaky toys though. In fact, when we first started playing with the pole, she wasn't all that interested in it. She would run and chase the other dogs but not so much the lure. In the past four weeks or so, she has really begun to chase the lure herself. But still no difference in how she treats the cats.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No. I have two indoor cats that are loose in the house, and the dogs don't pay any more or less attention to them since we started using the poll. Lilly still thinks they might be animated squeaky toys though. In fact, when we first started playing with the pole, she wasn't all that interested in it. She would run and chase the other dogs but not so much the lure. In the past four weeks or so, she has really begun to chase the lure herself. But still no difference in how she treats the cats.

Lilly and Truman may need to get together sometime! They are similar in so many ways!

Any advice on where to buy a lure pole? I'm also taking him for a beginner lure course session in March.

Lure poles are easy to make. Just get a 5 or 6' equestrian lunge whip (you can get them on sale up here for about $10, I imagine the pricing there would be similar). I then removed the little lash bit on the end, which left a small loop that it had been tied through. So I put the hook part of a strip of velcro through the little loop and tied it. Then I can press the hooks into a stuffy. I only use one particular stuffy with the lure pole, to keep it more exciting. And it's white and fluffy, too! Some people tie the stuffy on but I want her to actually be able to occasionally "catch" it and remove it from the lure pole. Her joy at "winning" is wonderful to see!

ETA: I don't know if all lunge whips have the little loops on the end. But no big deal if they don't -- it just makes it easier to tie the velcro on securely.

Here's a pic of ours (ignore my stupid expression and the neighbor's junk, LOL):

1Ready.jpg

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance